Chapter 28

Anakin was just about to fill the rest of the fuel into the tank so they could head for Resolute, where Kix would finally take reasonable care of Ahsoka's wounds.

There was a dull feeling in the pit of his stomach.

Something would happen.

Something dangerous.

He was quite worried about Ahsoka because the same feeling was always stronger with him when she was around.

The Force warned him.

And he needed to find out what it was.

Ahsoka herself seemed to be doing well under the circumstances.

She hadn't been able to eat because no one had thought to pack any food.

Only water that Obi-wan, in wise foresight, packed enough.

When Anakin had given her a whole liter, she had first looked at it as if she couldn't believe it, and then drank it as fast as if it would disappear again any moment.

Otherwise she had actually always done what they told.

When Anakin had woken her up in the morning, she had got up without hesitation.

Afterwards when he had seen the deep rings under her eyes again he regretted to have woken her...

When he had asked her to hand over the bag to him because he wanted to buy fuel, she had done it without any objections and without a typical snippy reply.

Normally she would have left a remark even at something like that.

And when he came back with fuel, she had taken it from him wordlessly and waited until he showed her where to put it.

The ship had already been cleaned at that time.

Now she was sitting next to him in the desert sand in the middle of the tools that she had handed him until a few minutes ago.

She seemed to have found her fun in repairing an old portable replacement microreactor.

The first time he looked at her, she had hidden it quickly so he wouldn't notice, but when he nodded at her, she was happy to get to work.

The feeling of danger became clearer.

Anakin felt how his neck hair stood up and it ran coldly down his back despite the heat.

Something would happen immediately.

No not immediately.

Now.

He turned around.

Behind him stood Ahsoka. The spare reactor she had been tinkering with neatly in the box, just like the rest.

Ahsoka's gaze was determined and hopeful.

And there was a spark in it. A spark of fighting spirit that was swelling with every second that passed into a massive conflagration.

Her whole body was tense.

She was in fighter mode.

As she usually was on the battlefield when she protected the wounded.

She was fighting for something, but also against her own fears.

The force surrounded her in a respectful way.

She was not a child right now. Not a vulnerable slave but a serious opponent, though without memories, but with years of experience that were in her body and forced her into a reasonable attack position.

The spark in her eyes meanwhile as big as Anakin has always known it.

And the knife in her hand directed at him. At Anakin.

"Stang" he murmured.