Chapter 107

The sky was sprinkled with stars.

Ahsoka stood at the window and looked out.

Darkness shone towards her instead, thanks to her blindness.

Cold wind swept into the house, but once again, it was nothing Ahsoka cared about.

The wind was okay...it did her good.

The cold that enveloped her was the same as it had been in the meadow. When she had been lying on the ground.

When the life had slowly seeping out of her.

When it... it was almost over.

That cold had been so peaceful. It had made her feel so welcome.

But she knew. She knew that there had been something before that.

She 'looked' further out, to the one small star that shone brightly enough to cut through her darkness.

There had to have been something before that.

She remembered pain.

Unimaginable pain that ran through all her limbs, all the way to her heart.

She remembered that time clearly by now.

She had been locked in a cell.

Her hands and feet were fixed by metal chains.

The chains had cut her skin, she felt the scars from them, which stretched like bracelets around her wrists and ankles.

There had been this dark man. His voice like sharp ice daggers that slowly bored into her hope.

She had been afraid. Unbridled fear.

Something inside her had screamed to fight and she had fought.

She had built walls of hardest rock around her mind to shield the emptiness within herself. The void where this strange power belonged.

She closed her eyes as tears ran down her cheeks at the memory of that time.

She rubbed her wrist.

It hurt.

But only her left one.

Her left wrist hurt as if she had hit a solid metal wall.

This feeling extended from her knuckles up her entire arm.

She diverted her thoughts away from it and back to the matter at hand.

She had been in that cell. Hungry. Thirsty. Tired and exhausted. Alone.

But what was before that? What was before this dark time. She sensed light, far away. But it was too far away for her to grasp.

She had to go slowly.

Step by step.

The darkness had been long. Too long.

Before it lay betrayal. She felt this sensation, as if something was tearing inside her. A gesture. A push that broke her trust.

Security turned into fear.

She heard a voice from which she expected gentleness, but it was cold and hard.

She didn't understand it, it sounded too muffled. As if her own mind was too overloaded. Too full with the realization that he was betraying her.

So full that it wouldn't let the truth get through to her. That she clung to the lie in which he was there for her.

She clenched her hand into a fist, but then released it again.

The anger felt wrong. Like poison flowing through her veins.

She didn't want it.

She hadn't found out much.

But the wall was broken.