Chapter 90

Time could not be stopped. Of course not.

Late summer was slowly turning into fall, and Ahsoka was still with Thomas, Elise, and Luca.

She had settled in there and had actually become part of the family.

Luca and she were often together in the forest.

They laughed and played, picked berries or clambered around.

Her rib was better by now. Osane had come a few more times and thanks to her, the only injuries that still interrupted the orange skin of the Togruta were a few ones on her back.

And even these were not as deep as they had been in the beginning.

And the infection of them had also disappeared.

Now, where autumn arrived, the time of harvesting the crops had come.

Ahsoka wanted to help, but Elise and Thomas had been reluctant at first whether they really wanted to give the blind girl such a sharp knife as the sickle, which one needed to harvest.

Luca had helped her to persuade his parents. He had already seen the girl jumping over tree tops, so the tool would not be dangerous to her.

And so the two of them were now standing in the field together with Thomas, harvesting grain.

Elise was busy in the kitchen.

"Hey! Come over here!" Luca called to Ahsoka.

The latter moved from the spot. "I'm definitely not coming to see a bug. You know I can't see him anyway!" she shouted in the direction of his silhouette.

She could feel the little animal on his hand.

"Besides, he's scared. Let him go!" she added.

Luca raised his hand and let the little creature fly away.

He smiled slightly. At first he had still winced briefly when she had said something like that, had to remind himself that yes, she could feel it.

But by now, the whole family had gotten used to Ahsoka's gift.

Ahsoka herself, too.

She picked up the pile of corn she had already cut, ran to the pile, and lifted it up to the top with her telekinesis.

She had figured out what that was a while ago and had been practicing it ever since.

The others didn't mind as long as she wasn't practicing with something fragile.

At first it was hard for her to lift things and move them.

But soon it became natural, like taking a step or moving her arms.

It was as if she had been doing it all her life.

Maybe she had.

But she still didn't use it too often.

She had learned in her time here how comforting it could be to do things by hand.

That taking on the physical effort, instead of letting technology do the work, kept the mind away from things. Things she didn't want to remember.

And so she joined in and did most of it by hand.

Luca was just coming towards her with a stack of corn when she went back.

"Half done" he said grinning happily.