Chapter 87

There you go @Fansiegirl

Padmé gently put an arm around her husband, who sat crying on their couch.

Anakin Skywalker had collapsed under his emotions.

All the dams were broken, and the only thing he could manage was to cry.

He was glad that Padmé was by his side and there for him.

She had found him.

At the edge of the skyscraper. Took him to her place.

She had put him in the bathroom first, under a warm shower, because he had been standing in the cold rain for hours.

Now he was wearing pajamas he had once left with Padmé, had a fluffy blanket draped over his shoulders, and his wife had just put a cup of hot cocoa in his hand before sitting down next to him and putting her arm around him.

She saw how devastated he was by the loss of his Padawan.

Or rather, it wasn't the loss that got him down.

It was the unknowing.

He didn't even know if she was dead or alive.

If his desperate search was worthwhile, or if it would only lead him to a corpse.

And he imagined things all the time. He couldn't stop it, but all the time he saw images in his mind's eye of her alone and scared. Injured or half-starved. Or both. In which she screamed for help, but never got any.

In which she begged him to find her, but he could not.

Or those that were even worse. In which he found her only to watch her die.

The ones where he arrived just in time to witness her last breath.

Or how she writhed in pain on the floor before her limbs went limp, she slumped and her signature faded away.

Sometimes he heard the cruel laughter of Dooku.

Or saw a hooded figure standing behind her laughing.

Carefully Anakin sipped the hot cocoa.

Ahsoka had loved this drink...she had rarely gotten it because it wasn't available at the Jedi Temple.

But sometimes, when she wasn't feeling well, Anakin had gotten her some. Each time her face had brightened immediately.

And afterwards he had always had to cope with the sugar shock-like state it triggered in her.

He had found out that chocolate had the same effect on Togruta as fifteen cups of coffee in a row on a person who was already jittery.

Tears continued to drip from his eyes as memories of his Padawan came flooding back.

Once, when they were trapped, Rex had secretly given Ahsoka a piece of chocolate just before the fight.

The droids hadn't had a chance because the girl had almost swept them away on her own, she'd been so psyched.

If only he could find her again....

"We'll figure it out," Padmé encouraged him. "We'll find her again, I promise you. We'll get Ahsoka home safely."