Chapter 17

Draco

-

I sit leaning against the window, looking out onto the green landscape laying before me. It was breathtaking. Next to me, Layla was reading. She looked so peaceful. I was happy she wasn't feeling to bad about going home, especially considering her constant worrying over the past two weeks. I felt a smirk play across my lips. These past two weeks had only made me fall further, and I could now say for sure I liked this girl, as more than just friends. She laughed and placed her closed book onto her lap.

"Malfoy, it seems you may have a bit of a staring problem," she giggles. I quickly look away, feeling my cheeks glow red. She shook her head, still laughing, returning to her book.

"Well, if you really think about it, it is complete-" Daniel pauses, walking into our compartment along with Pansy, throwing Layla a chocolate frog. I see her smile, "I remember you liked em when we were younger," she nodded smiling before replying,

"so did Cedric... though to be honest, I only really liked watching them run around." Both Layla and Daniel begin laughing.

"How are you feeling about seeing your parents?" Pansy asked, concerned. She thought for a moment before nodding and smiling,

"Yeah, y 'know, I think it will be alright," she said smiling, "and at least I'll have some decent company." Pansy smiled before talking again,

"So... how are things going between you two?"

"What do you mean?" We said in unison, I saw Daniel smirk.

"Mhm, ok," Pansy says, leaving us both confused. But I think I know what she was implying.

-

Layla

-

The train stops, startling me from my sleep. Both Draco and Pansy are asleep, and Daniel is getting all of our bags down. He smiled, noticing me awake,

"sleep well?" He chirped,

"Well other than the fact I slept on a table," I said, pointing back to the table where Draco still lay peacefully. "It was pretty good," I finish my gaze keeping fixed on Draco.

"You like him, don't you?" He says, gently elbowing me. I feel my cheeks glow. I did like him, didn't I? The past week had been so simple with him, nothing like it was with Fred. With Draco, we talked, we laughed, and I was beginning to fall head over heels. As cheesy as all that may sound, it was true.

"I think I-I might," I say in a hushed tone. He smiled, handing me my bag. I walk back to the table. "Draco," I whisper, trying to wake him up without giving him a fright, I nudge him gently. Slowly his long black eyelashes flutter open.

"Here already, Sunshine?" He says, his voice still slightly scratchy from sleep. I nod, helping him up from his seat. He quickly takes both of our cases and carries them for me.

As we step out of the train, a wave of fresh air hits me. I smiled quickly searching around for Charles and Cormac, it was difficult as many parents were flooding the station looking for their young children. But then there they were, two little faces smiling back at me.

"Layla," Charles cried out, running over, I pulled him into a hug. Soon enough, Cormac was at his side, joining our hug. "We missed you, y 'know?" Charles whispered.

"I missed you two too, Charlie," I said, pulling them back and looking at them, "jeez Cormac, you've certainly gotten taller," I laughed. Charles looked disappointed, "you too, Charlie."

I noticed Cormac look over my shoulder and frown confusedly. I look to where his gaze is pointed at to see an awkward-looking Draco. I laughed a little, getting up and walking over. "This is Draco, he's gonna stay with us for the Christmas break," both Charlie's and Cormac's faces lit up before they began chatting away with an overwhelmed Draco. I giggled,

"Woah slow down," Draco chuckled before he turned his face to meet two people emerging from the crowd,

my parents.

I felt myself begin to shake, I knew I wasn't looking forward to seeing them again, but I honestly didn't think it would be too bad. Draco intertwined our fingers and looked at me a reassuring smile on his face.

I breathed in, Draco was here, I would be fine.

I breathed out, then again that wouldn't stop them from parading me around. Or ignoring my brothers. Or bickering between themselves.

I breathed in, keep it together, no one wants to see you break down.

I breathed out,

"Layla, dear," my mother greeted, artificial kindness in her voice.

"Mother," I replied sarcastically. She shrugged my tone off,

"So this must be Draco?" She asks, turning to Draco, "Your dads a Deatheater, isn't he?"

"Moth-"

"Isn't he?" She demanded, I glared at her before turning to Draco, he looked flustered.

"Just leave it," I said sternly. Hesitantly nodding, and turning back to me, readjusting my knitted sweater and long ponytail.

"You really should stop wearing your hair like this," she said, pulling out the hair tie allowing it to fall onto my shoulder. I sighed, turning to my father,

"May we leave now?" He nodded and began walking away, my mother and brothers trailing behind. Draco turned to me and pulled me into a hug, which I gladly accepted.

"Thank you," he whispered gently, still with his arms wrapped around me, "it's gonna get better.