Chapter 50

Layla

-

"It was insane!" Blaise exclaims, flailing his arms as he retold the story. "I was sure Ravenclaw would win, then all of a sudden-"

"Yes, Blaise, we were all there," Pansy laughs, encouraging him to sit down. "So, in conclusion, Layla is a bomb Seeker." We all began laughing. We had decided to go to The Three Broomsticks, Blaise, Pansy and I. Though, we had been joined by a few other Gryffindors. Blaise had invited Neville, Pansy had invited Daniel, and after finding Seamus outside the castle, I learnt he had his plans blown off when Dean decided to go to Hogsmeade with Ginny, I felt as though he should join us. Besides, I didn't really fancy fifth wheeling with two couples who clearly like each other.

I was sitting in between Seamus and Blaise, though both seemed distracted. Blaise was engrossed in a conversation with Neville, while Seamus hadn't taken his eyes off somewhere on the other side of the pub. I knew exactly why too. "I had a hunch, you know?" I whispered to Seamus. He turned to me with a confused yet confronted expression before replying.

"About what?" I nodded my head towards a table where Dean and Ginny sat. His face grew red, yet there was an element of sadness to the way he looked down. "No, it's not- It's just," Seamus let out a long sigh and settled his head in his hands. "It sucks," he whispered, almost sounding like he was going to cry. I placed a hand on his shoulder and moved my head so I could see his face.

"Trust me, I get it," he looked up, clearly confused.

"Draco?" He barely whispered. I nodded sorrowfully. He seemed to open up in that instant, realising what we actually had in common. "I've liked him for longer than you could imagine. I've known him for so long. At least, long enough to see that he isn't happy. I know it's not my place to say, but... Bloody hell. Layla, they're always fighting. He comes back to the dorm crying most night, and I-" A stray tear fell down his cheek as he composed himself.

I nodded, knowing just how he felt. Caring for someone so much that it pains you to see them anything but over the moon. Knowing you can't be with them, but wanting them so bad. The pain you feel when they leave...

As if on cue, the blonde boy walked past the table where we sat. We locked eyes for a moment, and once again, all I could find was sadness. My heart stung, no it burned. I bit the inside of my mouth, but nothing could conceal the tears that fell silently. I watched as his eyes welled up, much like mine had, and tears began to fall. I wanted nothing other than to pull my gaze away. I couldn't bear seeing him this way. So broken. But I couldn't.

"Layla, Blaise!" A voice boomed as our potions professor walked towards us. As I turned my head back to where the boy previously stood, I saw he had left. Now all I could see was the back of his black suit walking away.

Wiping away my tears briefly, I turned back to Slughorn.

"Professor," Blaise smiled in an ingenuine way. I smiled politely.

"I wondered if you two would be keen to join a few select students and myself for a supper party?" The man smiled proudly, causing guilt to swirl in my stomach. And before I knew it, I opened my mouth and spoke.

"We would love to," I said over a forced smile, returned in a more sincere matter by the professor before walking away. Blaise nudged me in the side.

"We would love to? No, we would not!" He whisper-yelled. I smiled sheepishly, suddenly realising what I had gotten us into.

"I felt bad," I confessed, causing Blaise to roll his eyes but a smile creep onto his lips.

"Yeah, I know. We will be fine, I think."

What have I done?

-

Our feet crunched through the fresh snow, confirming the up and coming Christmas break. We laughed together, made jokes and threw snow at one another. Everything seemed perfect, too perfect. Suddenly a feel shot through my hands, one of discomfort. They felt weak as I clenched my fist. Cautiously, I looked around. Left; nothing. Right; nothing. Behind;... I watched as a figure floating in the air before hitting the ground harshly. My stomach twisted in discomfort. "I'll be right back," I said, running back towards the commotion.

Katie Bell. Katie Bell was laying the snow, twitching. Harry, Hermione, Ron and one of Katie's friends watched on in horror. "Of course, it's you three!" I yelled over the wind as I made my over to comfort Katie's friend. The girl was now crying. I felt terrible. I couldn't even imagine how I would feel had that been any of my friends. So I let her cry into my shoulder as Hagrid lifted the poor girl and made his way back to the castle. The girl and I followed closely behind.

I know it's selfish considering what just happened to Katie, but one thought and one thought only plagued my mind.

What if it had been Draco who got hurt?

-

"She said it was important that she deliver it," said the girl, who I had learnt whose name was Leanne. McGonagall looked on at the situation with horror.

"Did she say to whom?" She sounded almost cautious as if she were tip-toeing around the circumstances. I watched the situation fold-out anxiously. On the other hand, Harry looked rather furious. I nudged his side, trying to get his attention, but he remained looking ahead at Leanne. But once she left, all attention turned to us.

"Why is it when something happens. It is always you three?" McGonagall scolded in a rather upset matter.

"Believe me, professor, I've been asking myself the same question for six years," said Ron.

"And Layla? What on earth were you doing there?"

"I was walking just ahead of them with my friends when I saw her floating. So I came over to see if she was ok," I pleaded. Harry scoffed and rolled his eyes.

"Oh, Severus," McGonagall said, leading him over to the necklace and past us, where he gave me a questioning look. "What do you think?" Snape lifted the item using a basic levitation spell.

"I think Miss Bell is lucky to be alive," he replied in his usual monotonous voice before turning back to us.

"She was cursed, wasn't she?" Harry asked. "I know, Katie. Off the pitch, she wouldn't hurt a fly. If she was delivering that to Dumbledore, she wasn't doing it knowingly." My eyes widened, realising the extent of what Katie had gone through.

"Yes, she was cursed."

"It was Malfoy."