Chapter 31

So we all have History of Magic, right?" Daniel says. It was the next morning now, and Eleanor, Daniel and I were all sat at the Hufflepuff table for breakfast.

Last night, after both Draco and I contained ourselves, we sat and talked. I felt guilty for distancing myself, but he assured me that it was alright because we both had clearly made mistakes.

Now we are friends again, and I couldn't be happier. Thanks, Blaise.

"Ooooo," Eleanor said excitedly, "mail!" But we were soon interrupted by the loud thump of Daniels family owl.

"Not again!" He sighed, using a hanky to wipe away the food that had splattered upon the owl's impact. "Stupid owl." He began to pull the small box out of the owl's claws and unwrap it.

"Eeeek," Eleanor screeched as her owl dropped a package firmly into her hands. I laughed.

But the next part is what shocked me the most. In through the top window flew, not only Cormacs owl but also my mothers and fathers. Each one of them proceeded to drop a letter. Getting a letter from Cormac letting me know how he and Charlie were, normal. My parents both sending me letters on the same day... or ever, out of the ordinary.

Something is wrong.

"Layla," Daniel looked at me, concern in his eyes as I looked blankly at the letter. "Are you coming?"

"Um, I- Y-" I stuttered, "you guys go ahead, I'll catch up." I smiled as they walked away. What was I about to read?

-

Draco

-

I was about to leave the great hall when I spotted one last person sitting at the Hufflepuff table. Layla. She just sat there, a letter in hand. What happened.

I feel my heart pound as I approach her. Something was wrong, and I'm worried. I have to be able to help her, No matter what.

"Sunshine," I whisper, placing my hand on her shoulder, causing her to flinch slightly. However, her eyes remain fixated on the letter in front of her.

"Hey," she whispers back in a dreamy voice. She's not ok.

I take a seat next to her and start talking again. "Who's it from?" I nod my head towards the letter.

"I already opened one from Cormac," she said, "but there are two separate letters from my parents." Her hands begin to shake, "my parents never send me letters, let alone two."

Oh no. This isn't going to be good. But she is going to have to open it at some point.

"Are you going to open it?" I asked, trying not to upset her.

"I-I-I don't know." She begins to shake all over, and her leg begins to bounce. Gently I slip my hand into hers, rubbing my thumb on her palm in a reassuring matter. I shot her a look of encouragement, and she began to open the letter. I didn't read the letter, that was for her. But I watched her facial expressions closely.

-

Eventually, she placed the letter down on the table and started thinking. What was it? It was none of my business, but I wanted to know.

Then she looked back at me. What is it?

"They are getting a divorce," she said, her voice shaking.

What. Divorces weren't common in the wizarding world. In fact, barely anyone ever got a divorce. People just sucked it up and got on with their lives. But maybe this was the best thing for her parents. They never seemed very connected and seemed to always be arguing. Maybe it was best for them to live apart.

"But, they said it is best to continue living together for the sake of Charlie and Cormac."

Oh dear, this isn't good.

A/N: I am kinda lacking motivation with this story right now but I will try write more this week. If you want to read another of my Draco Malfoy ffs  I have another that I update more often, Another Weasley Twin, if you wanna check it out.