Chapter 5

Layla

-

My eyes flutter open the sun breaks through the curtains. I peer over the covers of my bed to the small alarm clock my parents had given me. "Six three," I mumbled, surprised, I shot up in bed taking another look. "Six three," I spoke again, a smile spreading across my face. Swinging my legs around, I went over to my roommate Elanors bed, shaking her awake.

"Jeez, Layla," she sat up, "It's only six!" she said frowning.

"I know," she gave me a half concerned half confused look before I answered her look, "I slept through the night!" She mirrored my smile.

"That's great," she replied, gently shaking my shoulder. She had found out herself about my nightmares after I woke from one of my worse nightmares to catch her sneaking back into our dorm. That was Elanor. We had been friends since the first year.

Although we were friends, I only really spoke to her during meals or in the Common Room as most of her friends are Gryffindors. Of whom didn't appreciate my kindness toward Slytherin. However, none of that fazed me. I had seen Slytherins be kind and loyal, whereas most Gryffindors I had met were stubborn, self-righteous, reckless and short-tempered. I find Gryffindors hard to trust as they do before they think. I've had Gryfindor friends. "Layla, you alright?" I'm snapped back into reality to find Daniel sitting next to me at the Hufflepuff table.

"Daniel, Hi." I pause becoming confused, "may I ask why you're at the Hufflepuff table?" I say It comes out sounding ruder than I wanted it too. "Sorry, I didn't mean for it to sound bad," I say quickly.

"No, no, that's fine," he replies, looking me over before hastily saying "are you alright, you weren't at dinner last night?" I begin to feel guilty; thinking about Daniel worrying over me.

"Sorry, I just... ahh- got distracted." I avoid his eyes. He raises his eyebrows, he, knows I'm lying.

"Well, we have DADA, c'mon," he begins walking away, so I follow. Everything from last night came flooding back. We spent hours in the astronomy tower, just talking. It surprised me how alike we were. After losing track of time, We only narrowly missed being caught by Filch. But it was worth it.

We walked into DADA taking a seat at a table with three seated table.

"God," I mumbled looking over to see Umbridge, her hair poofed like an overgroomed poodle, a hideous pink frilled dress, her eyebrows stuck in this surprised expression. After the events on Monday (it's now Wednesday) I had decided that Ubridge was most definitely as much of a bitch as everyone said she was. I felt someone sit down on the other side of me. I look over and see a familiar blonde smiling at me. I bit my cheek to contain my smile. I look back to Daniel, and he gives me a confused look before turning a glare to Draco which Draco happily returns. I am thankfully rescued from the tension building at our table by non-other than the most hated bitch in school.

"Ok class," her voice pierces my ears. I feel myself daze away returning to my many thoughts. "Miss Diggory" I hear a voice yell, I wasn't sure how long I had been distracted. Umbridge marched over to me and glared at me, "would you care to explain page ninety fours context?"

"I-I-I can't," I reply shakily.

"Why is that?" I feel people begin o look over at me. I start panicking I lose control of my breathing, my head spins.

"I-I um, I," I stutter, looking around desperately for help.

"Go on! they can't help you," she yells her voice rattles. 'They can't help you?! they can't help you?! THEY CAN'T HELP YOU!!!' It was true they couldn't help me, no one could. I'm a complete and utter mess. I was stupid for wanting to believe that someone could fix me.

"I got distracted," I said quietly.

"You will be joining me at six tonight for detention."

I feel my jaw drop, Detention, for getting distracted? My leg starts bouncing. What the hell would my parents say about this? their golden child getting Detention, They would be furious. My heart races. How would I survive with this crazy-

I feel a hand lay on my shoulder, Draco looks at me with kind, comforting eyes. I felt safe again.