Chapter 56

Layla

-

Last night was amazing. We talked, laughed, cried. Not focusing on the here and now seemed perfect. Over breakfast, we shared glances, much to my friend's dismay. He even ate something, which wasn't usual.

"Who are you smiling at?" Eleanor smirked. I simply shrugged, looking away so I wouldn't get caught. Though, Dean, who sat next to me, already figured it out.

"Back on good terms with the Slytherin prince," he whispered. I looked at him and smiled widely, causing him to clap happily. I giggled at our shared excitement.

"What's the update on Bubble Bath and Toaster?" He spat out his water, causing everyone to look over in confusion. We were in hysterics at this point.

When I looked back over to Draco, he was smiling proudly at me. I felt a blush fall on my cheeks. I was over the moon that we were talking again. I was even happier that we were still close. I would even say being apart bought us closer. I felt as though it made me realise being without him wasn't an option.

Later we had to board the train. Draco had something to do, so he didn't sit with the rest of us. But we still walked together. When I arrived at the compartment where Dean, Seamus, Blaise, Neville, Daniel, Pansy and Eleanor sat, I found out Blaise and Ginny had broken up. Dean was upset, but Seamus was comforting him.

Eleanor leaned over to me as we watched the three couples swoon over one another and said, "I feel like we should be hugging or something. I feel very left out." I giggled before replying,

"You could go find yourself another if you wanted. Besides, I think I may just have found someone." She shook her head and laughed.

"One, I might be able to, but not the person that I want." I looked at her, confused as ever. "Don't worry about it. Now, who is this lucky man... Or lady?" I shook my head at her eagerness to know who they are.

"I guess you'll have to wait and see." She let out an exasperated sigh.

"Fine."

-

When the train pulled to a slow, and the horn blew loudly, we all began saying our goodbyes. The hardest for me would have had to be with Pansy or Dean, who were already both in tears. But the worst was yet to come. Because as I got off the bus, I was faced with a blonde.

He and his mother stood ten meters or so away. We locked eyes for a moment, him clearly internally debating what to. I let out a shaky breath, worried he would turn away, just as he had last time we were here. But he didn't. Instead, he placed his bag on the platform and jogged over. I smiled and looked down at the ground to conceal how glad I was that he was here. His mother walked over to where he stood, smiling politely at me.

"See you after Christmas, Sunshine." I felt my breath catch in my throat upon hearing the nickname, and my cheeks burned up. I wrapped my arms around his neck and squeezed tightly. He laughed and wrapped his arms around my torso in a similar matter.

"Stay safe, Blonde Boy. Do whatever you have too," I whispered into his ear. He hugged me closer and buried his head into my shoulder.

"I will," he croaked out. "But the same goes for you." We laughed, both with tears falling down our cheeks. As we pulled apart and he grabbed my hand, a pained look on his face. "See you soon."

As we split up both towards our families, I couldn't help but smile to myself.

Sunshine.

"Layla," Cormac called from where the Weasleys, Harry, Hermione and my siblings stood. I ran over to Charles and Jemma, wrapping them both in a hug. Charles was physically shaking from excitement.

"Hey, where did all that height come from?" I said, nudging his shoulder. I wasn't lying either Charlie had grown considerably in the few months I had been gone. But I was quickly pulled away by Jemma, who spoke excitedly about the hug I had shared with the very boy, who she pointed out looked at me on the platform at the beginning of the year.

"Are you dating him?" She squealed. I knew she didn't know who he was, so I guess now was the time to explain it.

"You know he is a Malfoy, right?"

-

Draco

-

"She's very pretty, you know?" My mother smiled as we left the platform. I laughed at my mother's enthusiasm. Then began imagining her face smiling up at me or laughing at something I said, or blushing at her nickname. I was glad she would talk to me, even after I treated her so badly. She was too kind.

"God, mum, she's so much more, though. She's smart, too kind for her own good, her laugh makes my heart stop and her smile, I-. She's perfect." I laughed at how cheesy everything I was saying was. My mother looked at me in shock.

"You really like her?" She whispered, tearing up. I felt my own eyes well up at the thought.

"More than words can say."

I still would protect her at all cost, but there was no way I would go back to ignoring her. I cared about her too much. It pained me to think of a world without her by my side.

She bought out a different side of me. A kind side that can listen and talk about how I feel. Layla made me feel like I could cry and let my guard down, despite what I was taught as a kid.

When the war is over, there was not one thing I looked forward to more than hopefully being at her side. Because there isn't a person I'd rather spend my life with. No, make a life with.

I want to make a world of my own. A life that revolves completely around her and no one else. She would be the centre of my universe. A universe where Death Eaters don't exist and Voldemort is dead. A world we could live freely.

A world where we could love who we wish.