Chapter 37

I ran a cloth under the warm water in the bathroom.

I was confused at the events that had just taken place. What had made Draco angry enough to get in a fight with his so-called best friend.

As I walked out of the bathroom, I saw Draco sitting on the bed. He was tracing circles around his forearm. Blood dripped from his nose and forehead.

"Draco," I whispered, sitting down beside him. He looked at me, tears welling in his eyes. I held the side of his face, wiping away the few tears that fell. "What's happening?"

"I-I... I can't say," he cried, looking away. Something was wrong. Maybe it was his dad again, but it honestly didn't seem that way.

"Draco," I said, placing my hand on his shoulder, using the other hand to wipe away the blood with the cloth. "Can you tell me why you punched Blaise?"

He sighed, looking back at his feet. "I- I. Layla, I was jealous."

"Huh, what do you-"

"I was jealous of, Blaise, because... Layla, I like you." I looked back up at him. Did he mean it? I pulled my hand away from his face. He's drunk. He doesn't know what he's saying.

"Draco, are you drunk," I whisper.

"No, I mean yes, but it doesn't matter."

"Why didn't you say something?"

"Because next year I can't talk to you." What? He was drunk, very drunk. "Because... Because I have to become a Death Eater," he cries. He definitely shouldn't have said that.

"Draco," I whispered, hushing him.

This is why he had been acting so strangely. He was scared. "But, I- I-" he stuttered. But before he could finish, he placed his lips on mine.
Millions of waves hit me at once. I lost all contact with the surrounding world and I felt warmth rush through me. The kiss was gentle but passionate.

I felt as though a weight had been lifted off my shoulders. I had wanted Draco for so long, and he also wanted me.

But he's drunk. I pulled away. Warmth instantly leaving me. "You should get some rest," I whisper, and he simply nods. He pulls the blankets over himself and falls asleep within minutes. "Night Draco," I whisper, kissing him on the head.

Draco, I like you as well.

No, it's more than just that.

-

Today we will leave Hogwarts as fifth years for the last time. Next year we would all begin our seventh year. I knew things weren't going to be easy. Especially after what Draco had told me. Both things.

I liked Draco a lot, but he couldn't know that I knew. Any of it.

"Are you nearly done!" Eleanor whined.

"Yes," I giggled. I had just finished packing my bag and had my owl, Nash, ready. I was wearing wide-legged jeans and a green sweater and had my hair tied in a ponytail.

 I was wearing wide-legged jeans and a green sweater and had my hair tied in a ponytail

Next time I returned to this school, I would do so with my brother

Next time I returned to this school, I would do so with my brother. I had to keep him safe. This school was changing, and not necessarily for the better. "Come on then," Eleanor chirped.

-

Draco

-

This morning I had woken up in my bed with cuts and bruises covering my face. I had no memory of the party last night, though I do remember Layla. Only very faintly.

I kissed her.

At least, I think I did. Maybe it was just a dream. I hope it wasn't.

Because that may have been my last chance with her. Next year I wouldn't speak to her, no, I couldn't speak to her. Layla could never find out what I was going to become, she would hate me for it.

I can't lose her forever.