Chapter 46

Layla

-

I had been in this room more times than you could imagine, but it seemed every time something had changed, something I couldn't put my finger on. Despite the constant change, the room decor constantly amazed me. It was almost calming. There were shelves of book, old and new, sturdy wood floors and not so meaningless clutter in every remaining spot. I couldn't quite explain it. It felt like I could stay here for hours and still find something new to look at.

"Ah, Layla," Dumbledore spoke, causing me to leave my state of thought. "I see Ginny delivered the message. Take a seat." I smiled, sitting opposite him at his desk. "Have you noticed it?" He whispered. I tilted my head, confused,

"I'm sorry, sir?"

"It's quiet, too quiet. But if anyone can feel it, it's you. Somethings coming, something within the walls of our very school." I sighed, knowing what he meant precisely. Suddenly his easy-going expressions faded, turning one of much more seriousness. "You're very talented, and in the coming year, that's going to prove a great advantage to the wizarding world. You will also provide a great deal to Harry, Hermione and Ron."

I looked up from my hands to see a smiling Dumbledore. "Sir, I don't understand."

"Layla, I am asking you to join them on whatever they must do to defeat Voldemort."

"I don't think they would-"

"Trust me, each one of them has spoken fondly of you. I can assure you, you will be welcomed." He continued to explain any information he had and how I could help, sometimes adding a story here and there. Eventually, he stopped talking. He smiled, pouring something into a cup, a horrid smell emitting from the now full cup. "Now, how is Cormac settling in?"

I sighed, the heaviness of the conversation fading. "Well I believe, Draco and Blaise have helped him get used to it all."

"Oh, yes, Draco. How are you two? I noticed you both got pretty friendly last year. Tell me, are you two?"

"Uh, no," I awkwardly replied, "We haven't spoken much this year, to be honest. Actually, Draco hasn't really spoken to anyone."

"Yes, I noticed that. Check-in, will you? He's a good kid."

"Of course, I'll try to at least." I looked down at my hands, feeling a few tears prick in my eyes.

"You've caught the bug, Layla. You've fallen." I smiled sadly at the man. "Don't worry, you aren't alone. I've caught Draco looking at you from across the hall. Oh, and Snape told me that the boy speaks very fondly of you to him." I looked up, hope flickering in my eyes, hoping he would carry on. "Oh, I've said too much," he covered his mouth in a humorous matter before checking his watch. "Ah, how the time flies when one has good company, you best get back to your dorm."

I got up to leave before turning back to Dumbledore and thanking him.

He had given me much to think about, and so I did just that as I roamed the castle walls, avoiding people at all costs. Despite the constant thought of Draco, I managed to put it aside. I had never really thought I could help the trio, but everyone seemed to think so. But what would it be like? Would I have to leave? And when? I began to panic, my pace speeding up instantly. And when I rounded the corner on the seventh floor and smacked straight into someone with force. I fell back onto the ground, hitting my head on the concrete floor. I shut my eyes tight due to the pain and tentatively touched the back of my head.

Oh god. There was blood, and a lot of it too. They really weren't lying when they said heads bleed like a bitch. I felt my stomach twist, and my visions grow spotty.

Then before I knew it, everything was black.

The next I remember was waking in the hospital wing, Madam Pomfrey insisting I drink from a glass that contained some strangely coloured fluid. I did as told, but I must say the liquid was horribly tasting, and my gag reflex clearly agreed. I squinted, gathering what had happened. I was in Dumbledore's office, then I left and when I was walking I- Wait, I remember, I bumped into someone and hit my head. My hand raised to my head, gingerly touching the spot which had been bleeding in what only felt like moments ago. I seethed in pain as my fingers touched the raw skin. I pulled my hand away, my teeth still clenched.

"Madam Pomfrey," I called in a soft tone, she instantly rushed over.

"Yes, dear?"

"How long have I been here?" I asked, concerned.

"Oh, not long dear, a lovely Slytherin boy bought you in not last night but the night before. Said he had bumped into you, he stuck around for a while, pretty much had to pry him from the seat." I smiled, a blush rising in my cheeks.

"Do you perhaps know the name of the boy?"

"Ah, let me think, I believe he said his name was... Draco, yes, Draco!" My mouth opened slightly as a thought began to race through my mind. Why was Draco out at such a time? He wasn't a Prefect, was he?

No, I told myself I wouldn't stick my nose where it wasn't welcome. My only priority is to make sure Draco is ok.

"Well, dear, I believe that head wound should be about healed now." I touched the back of my head the raw skin has healed over. I gasped, causing Pomfrey to laugh. "The wonders of magic," she smiled, handing me my robe. "You best be off now. Wash up and get ready. Breakfast starts in an hour."

I headed back to my dorm, Eleanor was still asleep, so I showered and picked out a clean uniform and robe. Then I began to curl my hair. After all, I still had twenty minutes till breakfast. When I finished, I walked out of the bathroom and was instantly engulfed in a hug. "You bitch!" Eleanor laughed, "You had me so worried." I smiled gently, linking my arms with her. and grabbing my bag, slinging it over my shoulder.

"Care to join me for breakfast?" I joked as we exited our Common room. She smiled and began to chat. She explained how Madam Pomfrey wouldn't tell them who had bought me in and then begged me for information. After finally taking no for an answer, she began to list all the people who had visited.

And when we finally arrived at the great hall, the few students who sat eating breakfast looked over to Eleanor and me. Although at least fifteen people were looking over, only one caught my attention. Draco's eyes seemed full of guilt, yet relief, two grey pools looking over. I smiled in a reassuring matter at him. For a moment, it seemed as though he was going to stand and walk to me, but he stopped himself. Instead, I was wrapped in a hug by Daniel, who smiled warmly. "We're glad to see you back on your feet," he whispered, "Draco especially."