Chapter 51

Layla

-

"It was Malfoy." My head snapped towards Harry angrily, and for the first time since I entered the room, I spoke for myself.

"What?!" I practically yelled. "And where did that assumption come from? How can you make that judgement?" I was fuming. Harry couldn't say that without knowing.

"You're just trying to protect your boyfriend, so shut up!" He retorted back, "you probably knew he was going to do this!" I felt my hands clench into fists, and I gritted my teeth, trying to stop the tears that welled in my eyes.

"He's not my boyfriend. Besides, how would I know that if I haven't spoken to him all year?" I said sadly. The room fell silent before McGonagall spoke.

"That was a very serious accusation, Potter, towards both Malfoy and Miss Diggory."

"Indeed, your evidence?" Snape said, walking over to me and placing a hand on my shoulder.

"I just know."

"You just... Know," he seethed. I looked over at Harry, tears now falling as they do so often. He nodded at Snape. "Once again, you astonish me with your gifts, Potter. Gifts mere mortal can only dream of possessing. How grand it must be to be the Chosen One." Snape glared at Harry bitterly. While McGonagall stood aside, monitoring the situation carefully.

"I suggest you go back to your dormitories, all of you," she quickly advised before anything escalated.

We all began walking away, some faster than others. I rushed down the hallway, trying my best to avoid conversation with the trio. But despite all my efforts, I failed. "Layla, please slow down." I spun around facing Harry, tears streaming endlessly down my face.

"Why is it always Malfoy, Harry?" I cried, flailing my arms in the air. "Why is it everyone is a good person... Unless they're a Slytherin."

"I know he did-"

"You don't have proof!" I yelled, "You've been against him since the start of the year. Have you ever thought the way he is acting is because of the fact his dad is locked up!"

"I-"

"Not to mention, you played a part in that. And how dare you suggest I was involved! I don't think you noticed, but I watched more than enough people lose their lives or get sick or injured to need to see another. I thought if anyone understood that, it would be you." As I stormed off, I could hear Hermione scolding Harry for saying all that.

Despite what was going on, once again, all I could think about was Draco. Did he do that? And if he did, why? Surely there would be a reason for those sorts of actions.

-

I felt drained. I hadn't gone to classes the next day. My cheeks were bright red from crying, and my head hurt. I couldn't bring myself to even withdraw from my dorm. But now I had to leave for Slughorn's supper party. So here I am now, listening to everyone's life story. Luckily I had arrived at the same time as Oscar because Blaise got stuck next to another kid. Who seemed to be enjoying his ice cream as he talked about his father or... His uncle, I'm not sure which, though.

"Layla," he said, obviously uninterested in the last kid. "Tell me about your family." I felt everyone turn to me, awaiting an answer. I cringed and replied.

"What do you want me to say?"

"Your parents? You have siblings, yes? Two older, two younger?" The room went silent as people recoiled from the mention of my older brother.

"Ahh, well, let's see," I said, growing tired of the conversation. "Both my parents are Death Eaters who assisted Lord Voldemort when trying to kill Potter in the fourth year, but in the process, killed my dear brother Cedric. My older sister, Jemma, well, funny story actually, I thought she was dead until the start of the year. Turns out she ran away. But she was an Auror, but the ministry is falling apart, so she quit. And my two younger brothers are ten and eleven. Oh, I also have an uncle who teaches DADA here at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. And a grandmother who was a well-known healer."

Everyone remained silent, other than Blaise and Oscar, who began to laugh. I smiled and sat back in my seat. Slughorn opened and closed his mouth, unsure of what to say.

"Yes, I knew your sister, very bright young wizard. Tell me, how is she?"

"Good, she has found work somewhere. I also heard she is getting cozy with a Weasley." He nodded and smiled. Much happier with the conversation, he turned to Hermione and began to question her.

I sighed, glad it was over. I slumped back into my seat and leaned my head onto Oscar's shoulder.

"You alright?" He asked, a laugh peeking through.

"Yep, but I'm so tired. What Potter said really worked me up."

"Yeah, I heard. Potter is a dick, though. He is egotistic, has a toxic need to be a hero. And worst of all, the boy only looks at a situation from his point of view. See, I told you Hufflepuffs can talk shit," he whispered. I let out a giggle hearing the last sentence. "Also, are you gonna eat that?" I scrunched up my face at the sundae, which sat in front of me.

"Yeah, I'm not really feeling it."

"Oh wow," Slughorn said from across the table, noticing my head on Oscar's shoulder. "I didn't know you two were dating." I lifted my head from his shoulder and looked at Slughorn in complete shock, as did Oscar.

"That may be because we aren't dating," I said, confused by the situation.

"Yeah, besides, I'm actually Asexual."

"And I'm emotionally attached to someone who doesn't talk to me, so..."

"Neither of us would date each other. Just friends."

"Oh, I see. I apologize for saying anything."

Both Oscar and I turned to one another and began to giggle. We had known one another for so long that now that we finally began to talk, we got along so well. We could also relate to one another, considering his father is also rumoured to be a Death Eater. I had a good feeling I would be friends with him for a while.

We managed to pass the time with whispers. Oscar even gave me boy advice, despite the fact he didn't want to be and hasn't been in a relationship. And when the meeting was done, we headed back to the Common room, where he parted ways, leaving me to think.

About Draco, of course. It was almost a hobby by now.