Chapter 71

25th of December, 1994

The Yule Ball

The day had finally arrived. A day that you'd be surprised to hear Draco was dreading. He hadn't done it. He couldn't. He didn't ask the girl he really wanted to the ball. Layla Diggory wouldn't be at his side.

As I've previously mentioned, Draco had caught interest in the Diggory girl in their second year. But unlike any other girl he's liked, he never could talk to her. Don't get me wrong, he desperately wanted to... She just wasn't the same.

So, watching himself in the mirror, he pulled his jacket on straight and touched up his hair one last time. This would be a long night. Daphne Greengrass was Draco's date, and if we are being honest, the thought repulsed him slightly. Daphne wasn't bad. She just wasn't Layla.

I'm sure it wouldn't surprise you to know that Layla wasn't having a thought process far from Draco's. Maybe she was waiting for someone else to ask. But then again, she now got to spend the night with Cedric. He had dumped his date in the end. I suppose siblings are good for something.

As the narrator, I will say Layla looked stunning. Her golden-brown hair curled, shine on the peak of her nose and a flattering dress. 

Eleanor stood beside her, gasping every few moments at her friend's appearance

Eleanor stood beside her, gasping every few moments at her friend's appearance. Eleanor would attend with Harry. But Layla had a feeling that wouldn't end well. So she would probably end up with her and Cedric. Which she did.

But the ball! Oh, I'm getting off track. Well, I feel like, in most of these, something astronomical happens at the ball. But not here. It was actually a rather peaceful night. Internal fireworks, yes. Either dead staring or constant glances, yes.

Draco had a look of awe on his face all night. When he had first seen the girl, his heart and jaw had dropped. He knew she was beautiful, but only now did he understand it to its full outlook. Daphne had caught him staring multiple times. But the hard jabs in the side didn't seem to stop him.

I can assure you Layla wasn't a jealous person. In fact, she was quite the opposite. But seeing this Daphne girl hang of Draco side like that made her uncomfortable. Not mad it just didn't feel right. Maybe that was the night she understood her curiosity in the boy. But how could I be sure? I'm just the narrator.

Nothing truly exciting happened that night. Everyone danced, laughed and had a good time. While Draco and Layla admired one another from afar. And when the night came to a close, they both left disappointed.

Perhaps if either of them had got up the courage by now, things would have gone differently. Maybe the story wouldn't have such a tragic hiatus.

I suppose we couldn't be sure.

And what else could change?

I believe it's called the butterfly effect.

The phenomenon whereby a minute localized change in a complex system can have large effects elsewhere.