Chapter 32

Layla

-

Everyone sat. Their faces presenting a look of boredom. Draco sat beside me and we would occasionally whisper to each other. But the lesson mainly consisted of sighs of boredom.
"I will be expecting a four-page essay on Everlasting Elixirs by Thursday." Everyone groaned, "I can make it five? No, I didn't think so. Layla, can you stay behind for a bit? Otherwise, class dismissed."

Why did Snape want to speak to me? In which way or form was I significant to him?

Everyone left, Draco giving me a confused look. I simply shrugged.

"Layla, please take a seat." He looked awkward as if he didn't know what to say. What was happening? "I hear you and Draco have become good friends this year?"

"Uhhh, yeah, he certainly surprised me. He isn't what everyone made him out to be."

"No, he isn't. You guys are close? you would look out for him?" Where was this going, Why was Snape asking about my friendships, Why did it matter?

"Yes, I would do anything for that boy." He looked at me and tilted his head.

"More than friends?" I let out a sigh. Maybe it was time to admit the very secret I had hidden from. Maybe, I needed advice but from Snape? I trusted him for some strange reason. Yes, it's time to say.

"No, he would never. But... I'm not really sure." He smiled at me with a solemn expression.

"Yes, I understand the feeling... But I wouldn't be so sure about Draco. You would be surprised. Just look out for him, the next year won't be easy for anyone." I smiled at him. Maybe he's right. What if I do have a chance with that boy?

"Um- I- I also wanted to know how things are going for your family." I tilted my head and furrowed my eyebrows.

"Um, they are ok. As good as they get, really," I whispered. He looked at me with a strange look. Something I had never seen before, sympathy?

"I can imagine, knowing your mother," he sighed.

"You knew my mother?"

"Uh, only a little. But from what I heard, she was... opinionated."

"Yes, she really is, and that seems to be the very thing tearing our family apart."

"I am sorry, Layla. Though I assure you, your mother was once very kind, it was o- her father that changed her."

"How exactly do you know that?"

"Rumors."

Something didn't add up.

Time to find Hermione.

-

"It's probably nothing, but I-"

"No, no Layla, you are onto something," she squealed, looking at a piece of parchment. This was a bad idea. I was gonna be here all night.

Hermione and I had written to miss Weasley to see if she knew of a connection between Snape and my mother. She was quick to reply.

'Dear Layla and Hermione,

things are going reasonably well at the Burrow, at least considering all that is going on at the moment. Also, thank you very much, Layla. Both Arthur and I are feeling well.

Although my memory isn't the sharpest, I remember them having some sort of family connection, whether it is by blood or marriage, I'm not sure.

Anywho, I hope you are both enjoying Hogwarts. Hopefully, you can both join us for the summer.

Yours sincerely,

Molly and Arthur.'

"A family connection?!" Hermione and I both gasped at the same time. Hermione quickly rushed over to a family history book, but I stood there in awe. Could Snape be related to me? Was that a good or a bad thing?

"Oh my!" Hermione gaped, causing me to rush over. She began pointing around the page.

"Snape is your mother's brother Layla!"

What? No, he couldn't be. My mother was an only child. But this wouldn't be the first thing she had lied to me about. Plus, how else would Snape know all of that about my family?

He had to be my uncle.

I had a family other than just my parents.

Why didn't I know?

A/N I haven't felt motivated recently but a comment inspired me to write so thank you JanaiThorpe ❤❤❤