Chapter 64

-

I'm not sure anyone could explain the pain she had felt that night. Two people, she had cared for... Were gone. How was she supposed to react? Even despite what they were involved in, Layla loved them both.

But now it was the next day. The world seemed to be moving again. Layla had woken in the Hospital Wing that morning. Though, she did vividly remember last night. Those final moments in which she passed out were vague and barely comprehendible.

And even though the world had moved on, Layla hadn't. It still stung that she could be left like that. She wished she had said more... She regretted not telling him her true feelings.

And now, all that remained was worry. Was the boy Layla had cared for safe? Or had he got in trouble? What if... What if one of them doesn't make it... No!

"Hey," Blaise whispered, sitting on the edge of the bench. She had spent the morning outside watching over the garden. She had already packed her bags after all, and she didn't want to bring down anyone else's mood. So enjoying the sun had been the logical decision. "He's gonna be ok... He was so determined to see you again. He wouldn't run the risk of not making it."

She nodded glumly before speaking, "I wished I had told him." It came out quieter than expected. "I just, I- I froze. But I really do love him, Blaise... And- God, I'm so stupid."

Blaise looked at the girl with complete and utter sympathy. It wasn't fair. He was so happy with Neville and his other friends while Layla said the hardest goodbyes of her life. How could things get worse?

Layla and Blaise and spent a while talking until another awkward figure walked over. Harry wanted to talk to Layla. Though at first, Blaise was hesitant to leave them in the same room. He eventually agreed.

For a moment, the two (Harry and Layla) sat in silence, both unsure of what to say. "I'm so sorry," Layla finally breathed out. Harry looked at her in confusion. "I-I know he meant a great deal to you."

"As did Draco to you," he whispered. "I haven't been fair to you. Y-You don't get to choose who you care about, and I never even thought about how seeing- Ugh, you get what I mean."

Layla nodded quickly, scared he would take it back. "How are you?" She whispered, scared to upset him. He sighed, keeping a straight face.

"I- He didn't deserve what happened. But there's no going back now. I- I just need to finish what he started now. I need to defeat Voldemort." She felt her hand brush over the letter in her bag from Dumbledore but decided against giving it to him.

You see, the night before, when Layla had spoken to Dumbledore, he had slipped an item into her bag. It was a letter, two actually. One was addressed to her and the other to Harry. She had read hers. He wrote of how she was to join Harry and the others for the ride and that she must not worry about Draco too much.

But Layla wasn't sure when she was to give Harry his. Dumbledore had written in her letter that he would make sure to mention that she would join him and that he wasn't going to do this all alone.

Turning back from her thoughts, she looked at Harry. He was smiling in a confused way. "You're thinking, what about?" Layla smiled and nodded her head, a quiet laugh leaving her lips. Harry grinned and turned away. "You should come join Ron, Hermione and me. We are meeting up at the astronomy tower."

Surprisingly, Layla had agreed. Because regardless of how sad or angry she was. She knew if she ever wanted to see Draco again, she would have to fight.

Meanwhile, Draco remained idle in the Malfoy Manor. He thought about the girl just as she was doing about him. He was confused. Why hadn't Layla replied? He thought she felt the same. And she did, but how would Draco ever know that?