Chapter 15

Layla

-

It's been just over a month since DA started and it was going well, I hadn't learnt much but got plenty of practice in. Two weeks till Christmas break, a dreaded occasion. And a month had also passed since I began dating Fred. In all honesty, it was worse than I expected. Most of the time, we wouldn't speak as it was too awkward. When we did talk, it was always in front of his friends, almost like he was showing me off. Anytime I attempted to have a serious conversation, he would shrug me off or tell me he was busy. I really needed someone to talk to with the upcoming holidays. Of course, I was beyond excited to see Cormac and Charles, being with my parents, would hurt. Fred suggested I stay away from the Slytherins. Including Malfoy. I wanted to talk to him so much, but every time I walked over to him, or he approached me, Fred would make up some excuse to drag me away. I needed someone to talk to, I had never felt so down in my life.

"Layla," Fred called me over to the Gryffindor table, "come sit." He patted the seat next to him. I sit down nodding to Ginny and Harry sitting on the opposite side of the table, they give me a sympathetic look. God, these few weeks had been miserable. All I could think about was the looming break, Cedric and how much I missed Draco and the Slytherins. I felt tears build up in my eyes,

"Fred," I tug on his sleeve, he looks over to me, "can we talk for a minute, please."

"Not right now," he says quickly. Ginny gives him a look.

"Please, I really need someone to talk too," I plead.

"Not now Layla, don't be needy!"

"Fred, what the hell? Don't be rude," Ginny scolds,

"you know what Fred I'm trying here," he looks at me confused, "You clearly aren't," I hit him in the chest and begin standing up. "I'm sick of being paraded around when you're with your friends, then ghosted when we are alone. I've tried to have a conversation with you, but you always brush me off and if you can't tell that's not what I need right now." I feel tear spill over my cheeks.

"Layla, please," he pleads "can we not do this here?"

"No, the only conversation we have had alone since we have begun dating was when you asked me out, so now we can have this conversation here too." I feel eyes on me, "Fred, this clearly isn't working." I turn away, Fred grabs my wrist hard.

"No, no, no, this conversation isn't over," He yells, now standing, "you don't get to make that call."

"Yes, I do," I hear my voice tremble, tears are falling uncontrollably now.

"Fred, we're done."

-

Draco

-

Layla runs out of the hall, I feel my heartache. I thought I would be happy when they broke up, but seeing Layla so upset trumped all. I felt Pansy nudge me,

"go check on her," she says, looking concerned. I nod and get up quickly running out of the hall. I spend ages searching the castle for Layla before it hits me. The Library. Of course, she was always in there, the back left corner of the Library. God, I hope she's ok. I slide as I turn into the almost empty room, my run turning into a walk and surely enough, she was here. Layla sat in the back left corner. Her head in her hands and she was shaking.

"Hey," I said gently, sitting next to her. I place my hand on her back, rubbing gently, to comfort her as best I could. She leaned up of her hands, tilting her head to the roof, still crying. I pull her into a hug her headresting in between my neck and shoulder. We sat there for what felt like forever, I hated seeing her this upset, It wasn't fair. She starts calming herself,

"Thank you," she whispers.

"No problem," I sighed, "I missed you,"

"me too," she says, pulling out of our hug.

"I suppose us not speaking was Fred's idea then?" She nods gently, a guilty look on her face. I already knew the answer, I had noticed Fred pulling her away when I approached. I really did miss her.

"I'm sorry," she says, looking down at her feet. I lift her chin to look at me,

"It's ok, Fred was being a prick," she smiled slightly causing my stomach to flutter. She laid her head on my shoulder. We sat silently for a while, just complete silence, In all honesty, it was nice to be quiet for a bit with the wizarding world crumbling around us.

The silence was- No.

The silence with Layla was calming.