Chapter 14

Neville

-

An exhausted looking Layla enters the great hall, everyone stops and watches her. She smiles as Seamus begins clapping and whistling, the clapping spreads through the Great Hall. God, even most people from the Slytherin table, are clapping. Layla bows dramatically.

"Do think it's true?" Ron whispers to me,

"guess we'll have to find out," Hermoine says, standing up, I follow eagerly along with Harry and Ron.

"So I guess new spreads quickly?" She laughs as we make our way through the crowd surrounding her.

"Jeez Layla," I gasp, examining her bruised knuckles, "thank you."

"How did you do it? He apologized to Neville this morning, even going as far to call himself stupid," Hermoine said, clearly still shocked.

"Badgers," she pauses, "Badgers tend to become aggressive when threatened, did you know they have been known to fight off predators larger than themselves, even young lions from their kills. Hufflepuffs aren't all sunshine and rainbows, y 'know? What do you think they mean my fierce friend?" I feel myself begin to laugh. I really like Layla, and I appreciated her going out of her way to help me. It was also pretty funny seeing Goyle so scared of someone, especially Layla.

"Impressive," Harry laughs.

"Layla!" I watch a smiling Fred emerge from the crowd, "can I talk to you alone for a moment," Layla's smile falters into one of confusion.

"Why?" She asks slowly,

"Please," he asks. She nods her head, I wave her goodbye as she walks out of the hall.

-

Layla

-

"Will you be my girlfriend?" His words ring through my ears. What. Am. I. Gonna. Do? I don't know, oh, god. I wasn't sure what I wanted, but I felt bad turning him down. I had to say yes. Fred has been so welcoming to me, but I knew I didn't like him that way. Despite how I felt I couldn't bring myself to say no. "Layla, you good?" He laughed,

"Uh-Uh, yeah, um." He raises an eyebrow, waiting for my answer. "Yeah, yeah I guess so," I force a smile. He cheers, taking my hand and quickly walking back into the great hall, I look around confused.

"Everyone meet my girlfriend!" He yells I feel my eyes widen. Looking around, I catch sight of a group of Slytherins on of them being Draco.

-

Draco

-

I feel my blood boil. I hated Weasley boy, I really did. God, I should have told her. It probably wouldn't change anything, but I still wish I hadn't kept quiet. I slam my hands down on the table and stomp off. She was gone now.

-

Layla

-

Today was the DA's first meeting. I was nervous but excited. We all met in the Room of Requirments, It was huge, the perfect room to practice spells in. The Spells we learnt were simple, but I found a way to make the practice worth it.

I stood up to the front of the line, and Harry begins explaining the charm,

"I know," I say, he gives me a confused look. I make a swift movement with my wand, and the practice dummy was disarmed. Ron and Harry gap but Hermoine, she goes straight into to asking questions.

"Non-Verbal Spells?" She gasps, "how did you learn? we don't learn them till 6th year?" I laugh at her eagerness,

"Cedric, we taught me most things when I was younger, considering all the bad things that happen year after year, it was a good idea."

"Well I believe you'll have to help me, your knowledge could really help in teaching everyone else," Harry says, smiling. We go back into the lesson, I help Harry in assisting everyone else. It was cool to feel like I was on the same level as Harry, Potter. Famous Harry, Potter. I felt useful something I haven't felt in a while. I couldn't stop what happened to my brother,

I was hopeless. Hopelessness was truly the worst feeling in the world. I couldn't feel that way any more I had to be in control.