Chapter 25

Layla

-

Christmas had come and passed, and my parents had returned from there "business trip," though they refused to talk about it.

It was now the night before we returned to school, the night we would attend the Bulstrode Christmas ball. I didn't know Millicent very well, but I knew her family was very wealthy, and despite her only being a half-blood had a very tidy reputation.

Though that was not why my parents chose to attend every year, this ball was popular among many other pure-blood families. So was attended by names such as Black, Lestrange, Parkinson, Greengrass and many others. My mother's main goal at these parties was to get in the good books of these families. Maybe if she got lucky, she could mary me to some nice pureblood boy. Who of course, came from a rich family.

"Layla try this one," my mother struts into the room handing me a puffy light blue dress. I let out a light sigh.

The dress sat beautifully of my shoulders, with sleeves that puffed out, reaching my wrist. It was quite frankly, stunning on me and my mother very much approved.

After my mother had fussed with my hair and make up for hours, despite my constant comments. I found myself looking in the mirror. My eyes no longer sunken and shadowed. My face glowing. My hair sat neatly in a bun, With very natural makeup, just highlighting my features.

I felt myself smile at my appearance, I looked good. A door opens behind me, but I stay standing still.

"You really are growing up," my dad smiles, coming up behind me and placing his hand on my shoulder and staring into the mirror. "I'm so sorry." I turned to him, stunned.

"Huh?" I say, almost in a whisper. "Why?" He sighs shaking his head,

"I've never really been a real father to you or any of your brothers," he croaks, "But I want to, believe me." I watch as tears spill from his eyes. But I can't help but wonder does he mean it.

Now that I think back, my father never really did anything wrong. Yes, he may have stood beside my mother and listened to her rude remarks. But at that moment, it didn't matter he was my dad and I did truly care about him.

So I took a step towards him wrapping my arms around his torso, and without any hesitation, he hugged me back.

-

Draco

-

I fixed my tie and adjusted my jacket. I had arrived back at the manor a few nights ago upon my parent's arrival from their "business trip." Although I was sad to have my time with Layla cut short, I was glad to hear I would also be attending the Bulstrode family ball.

My parents had a tux prepared and had been getting themselves ready for the extravagant event. I had finished preparing at least an hour ago and was occupying myself with packing my bag.

"Draco darling," my mother called from the top of the stairs, I quickly made my way over to see her in a long black sleeved dress. Though many would think this was boring for such an extravagant event, it was much more than my mother would dress in on any other occasion. She, of course, looked lovely. "How do I look," she smirked doing a twirl.

"Gorgeous as always," I laughed. In return, she let out a soft giggle. I had always been close to my mother. She was kind, gentle, smart and was such an amazing mum.

"So," she wiggled her eyebrows, "how was staying with Layla?"

I smiled back at her. No words were exchanged. But she knew.

A/N - Thank you JanaiThorpe for giving motivation. I really appreciate it ❤❤❤