Chapter 11

Layla

-

I split ways from Draco and continue to the Hufflepuff Common room. I had a lot of fun today. It's been a while since I was able to go the whole day without thinking about how much I miss Cedric or worrying about whether my brothers were alright at home. It seemed like Draco could always do that. I appreciated that. I never really expected Draco to act that way with me. He was often cruel to others, and it shocked me that he wasn't also that way with me. At first, I just assumed it was sympathy for what had happened, but now I believed otherwise. We are friends. I smiled at the thought, I didn't think I needed new friends, I thought I was happy with Elanor and Daniel, but Draco made me happy again.

"Layla," a voice called from down the corridor, It was Hermoine. Why would Hermoine want to talk to me?

"Hi," I said slowly, unsure of where I stand.

"So," she paused "how are you doing?"

"Look I don't mean to sound rude, but you came here to ask me something, didn't you?" She slowly nods, I sigh "go on then."

"Well," she begins "you know how we aren't being taught anything useful in DADA. Well, we want to form a group where we can teach students to use defensive spells. Just in case," she stops, "you know." I watch her shift uncomfortably from foot to foot.

"Yeah, I know what you are trying to say,"

"Well, we wondered if you would join us for a meeting tomorrow?" I stop not sure of my answer. I wasn't sure I could do this all again, the spells would remind me of Cedric, and I'm not sure I could handle that when I've only just found my happiness. Then again, If there is a battle I would need to re-train, Cedric has already taught me most things on defensive spells. I need to look out for them, my brothers. If the war does happen, I would have to protect them. If that means facing up to my past, so be it. I had to do this for them.

"Yeah," I say quietly, "yeah I will, thanks for asking," She nods.

"We'll meet tomorrow at Hog's Head," she smiled and waved,

"Thanks again," I yelled after her.

I hope I don't regret this decision.

-

Layla,

Saturday 5th October.

-

I walked to Hogsmeade with Harry, Ron and Hermoine that morning despite my pleas to Hermoine that I would walk alone. Although I was nervous, the walk wasn't entirely terrible. I even spoke to Harry for a bit. I had to move forward. It's what Cedric would want. When we arrived, the pub began to fill up with students. All with distrusting looks on there faces. No one believed Harry, not with the lies the ministry were sharing. But I trusted him. I couldn't even imagine Harry doing something to hurt Cedric, at least not intentionally. I'm pulled out of my thoughts by raised voices,

"The point is, where is the proof?" A boy sitting near me says. I feel anger boil up in my chest.

"The proof is Cedric! Who in their right mind would kill a student?" I pause "huh?"

"Potter could tell us more about how Diggory got killed," another boy adds.

"No," I say raising my voice,

"I'm not gonna talk about Cedric so if that's why you here you may as well clear of now," he huffs, before turning to Hermoine and whispering something.

"Is it true you can produce a Patronus charm?" I hear a dreamy voice ask, I feel myself smile Cedric had taught me to produce a Patronus It made me happy to know others could as well.

"Yes, I've seen it," Hermoine chirps in.

"Blimey Harry didn't know you could do that." For the next while, people praised Harry for his achievements while Harry tried to explain himself. Then he started speaking about watching a friend die, this hurts me more than I thought it would, I shared a sorrowful glance with Harry as he shared. Until the words I needed to hear were spoken,

"Is he really back?" A younger-looking boy asks, Harry nods. I believed him even more now. I found myself walking back to the castle with Nevile. I quite liked him, he was friendly, quieter than most Gryffindors and thankfully didn't have the ego of a Gryffindor.

"So, how has your school year been so far," I ask trying to keep the conversation going.

"Other than Umbridge and bloody Goyle not leaving me alone, pretty ok,"

"What has Goyle been doing?" I ask cautiously

"He's been a dick about my parents, calling them crazy." I turned my head to him, giving him an empathetic look.

"Goyle's stupid, don't listen to what he says Nev," he gives me a sad smile. "From what I've heard, your parents were extraordinary people, and you know what? You seem to be a lot like them." He looks at me and smiles, a genuine smile this time,

"you think so?"

"Definitely." Nevile walks me back to the Common room and waves me goodbye. But I don't go inside just yet, I was making a quick detour to the Slytherin Common room to see Goyle.

A/N - Sorry if any of the spelling is of a few of my keys are being difficult. Anyway please vote and share this story with friends!!! It would really mean a lot.