Chapter 47

Layla

-

"Do you intend to sit here watching me work?" Severus said, a humourous smile playing on his lips. I laughed a little before beginning to speak.

"Actually, today I come to you with an intention. But first, I need a name for you." He looked up from his work, eyeing me as if I had spoken in a foreign language. "Well, I don't want to call you Snape or Severus... How about... Uncle Sev? Or just Sev?" I looked at my hands, deep in thought.

"Or you could just-"

"I got it, big S!" I joked.

"No, no, no. Uncle Sev works just fine, thank you." I giggled slightly. "Now, how are your classes going?" I sighed, thinking about potions and how Harry had excelled due to the book Ginny had told me about, and I frowned.

"Actually, I was wondering if you could help me out." He looked up once again, about to questions, so I continued. "With potions specifically, not only does Slughorn not seem to believe in a Hufflepuffs potions ability, Harry is the golden child and somehow got top of the class. But I have a feeling somethings up. But that's beside th point. I need to prove myself." Sev scrunched his face up as he thought.

"Well, for starters, you don't need to prove yourself, you have a talent for potions, and we both know it. But yes, I will tutor you." I smiled, standing from his desk. "Meet in my office on Wednesdays before astronomy. I'll let Dumbledore know, so you don't get caught up with the Prefects."

"Thank you so so much!" I said, hugging him. He seemed surprised at first but hugged me back without much more hesitation. "I would stick around, but I have Quidditch trials." I smiled furiously, causing Sev to laugh.

"Good luck then. I look forward to meeting the new Hufflepuff seeker."

"I hope so."

-

"Quiet down, please!" Madame Hooch yelled, causing the talking to die down. She caught my eye and smiled. She had tried to get me to try out last year, but I couldn't bring myself to take Cedric's place. So another student took his place as booth captain and Seeker. But since the student who had done so graduated last year. Hooch was now looking for both a captain and Seeker.

"Layla and Oscar, you are both trying out for Seeker?" A taller, dark-haired boy stepped forward alongside me. Suddenly I recognised him. Our parents were friends when we were younger. And he had obviously been in my house for the past six years.

"Yes, ma'am."

"Yes, Madame Hooch." The boy turned as she walked away, smirking at me, mocking my short physique compared to his own.

"Oh, Diggory. You're going down princess," he folded his arms over his chest and laughed.

"We'll see," I shrugged, walking over to the group I had been assigned to. I felt nerves rise in my chest as I mounted my broom, but upon taking off, It all came back.

Oscar smiled smugly at me as the whistle blew and the Snitch was released. We both paused for a moment scanning the field. Finally, I found it and began to fly towards it at speed. But soon enough, I noticed Oscar trailing behind me. He continued to look around, almost as though he hadn't found it yet. So I abruptly turned my broom and began flying in the opposite direction. And unsurprisingly, Oscar mimicked my actions, continuing to follow me.

I smirked, shaking my head. I flew into a cluster of chasers and beaters, weaving through the mess of ball and broom, catching sight of my team getting a quaffle through the hoop. I smiled proudly, also noticing Oscar no longer behind me. I scanned the field again, finding the Snitch and heading straight for it. But in the time I had spent looking for it, Oscar had caught up and had not only seen the Snitch but was now trailing right behind me. I gritted my teeth, leaning, so I practically merged with my broom, causing me to speed up drastically, losing Oscar in the process.

The Snitch fluttered around my head before heading straight up. I clenched my jaw tightly, turning my broom towards the Snitch and climbing through the air. And then, finally, I reached my hand out, wrapping my hand around the cold metal. I cheered, beginning to head back towards the ground, where the team I was in applauded, and the other clapped unenthusiastically. Finally hitting the ground and dismounting the broom, I was high-fived and pat on the back.

"We will mix up the teams and have another game," Hooch laughed. "Well done," she whispered proudly, "I had a good feeling about you. I'm glad you are joining us." I smiled and nodded my head.

"Luck, Diggory!" Oscar called, "I'll get you this time," he cocked his eyebrows and shrugged his shoulders.

"Alright," I smiled back.

It was fair to say Oscar didn't get me. I had caught the Snitch quicker than the last, and the team I was in had also done considerably well. Oscar looked disappointed, to say the least. But he still smiled and patted me on the back.

"You would make a good beater, you know?" I said, rubbing my shoulder, (where in the second game he had knocked into me) as we walked towards the castle, back in our robes. "You are really strong." He grimaced, noticing my discomfort.

"Yeah, sorry about that." He took my bag from my hand, carrying it for me. "Maybe you should go to the hospital wing."

"Yeah, I'll go over now. Thanks," I said, grabbing my bag, "good game Oscar!" He smiled and waved as I ran off.

Madame Pomfrey looked confused to see me again but none the less began to treat me. Suddenly, Draco burst into the hospital wing.

"Madame, do you have anything to um.... soothe rashes?" He grimaced as he spoke, as though he didn't even believe his own words. He took a seat in a bed opposite me and looked over, worry filling his eyes. He switched beds and came and sat on the one beside me.

"Quidditch," I laughed as he looked at my arm.

"You're trying out?" He smiled, "I told you, you should have."

"I know," I smiled, "I have a good feeling about it too." He smiled at me proudly, but then something faltered in his expression. He turned away and returned to frowning.

"That's great," he replied coldly.