Chapter 1

Draco

-

I stand on Platform 9 and 3/4 waiting to board the train. I knew this year would be different especially after what happened during the Triwizard Tournament. Honestly, that scared me. At the beginning of the year, it all seemed a joke to me a bunch of overachieving students desperate for attention and eternal glory, a load of rubbish if you ask me. But after seeing Diggory laying there his father in tears, and the girl with pure horror on her face. It was still dreadful to think about. Pushing the thoughts aside, I quickly boarded the train, eager to get a half-decent compartment. As I sat my eyes locked onto a familiar face

"Layla Diggory," I said aloud. Her golden hair fell in waves down her back, sparkling green eyes glossed over. She had been crying. I watched as she stood by her parents, seemingly over whatever they were saying. Her mother began fussing over her coat, causing Layla to give her a look.

"Pretty, isn't she?" a familiar voice stated,

"Pansy, good to see you" I smiled back

"Not just pretty" Blaise chirped in. I nodded, not seeing a point in arguing. Neither of them was wrong.

They were probably my only real friends at this point, Crabbe and Goyle were loyal and all that, but never really provided me with a real friendship.

"She's had a tough summer. Her parents have been arguing again, Cedric was pretty much what held their family together. Heard she'll be the next golden child" Pansy said with genuine concern in her voice, which surprised Draco.

"You know her?" I asked abruptly, earning a smirk from Blaise.

"Yeah, we were partners in herbology last year and helped you buddy Blaise over here through charms the first year," Pansy said, "Hey Blaise how was your summer?" Draco became quickly bored with the constant back and forth conversation. He refocused on Layla. She sat bent down near the two younger boys, who I assumed were her brothers. They were crying and so was she, I felt my heartache. I hated all that had happened.

Especially knowing my family had a part in Cedric's death.

-

Layla

-

"Charles, look at me" I raised my voice slightly to get his attention, "I'm going to be ok." He looked up at me his eyes glossed over with tears, nodding he gave me one last hug before standing back. I pulled Cormac into my arms before whispering to him. "Don't let what they're saying get under your skin, they don't mean it, their just to blind to realise what they're actually saying." I chuckled before returning back to my serious face. "Take care of Charlie for me, ok?"

"Layla!" my mother scolded "you'll miss the train." I looked back to her and scowled.

"Stay safe," Cormac said, getting my attention "promise me you'll write to Charlie and me." I nod, pulling my two younger brothers into a hug.

"I have to go now" I sniffed, I looked to my parents nodding before saying quietly just in case my brothers heard "they're your kids too" I turned towards the train.

"Darling" my mother called, I turned my head, hoping my mother had something to say about my comment. "Your sleeves are pulled up." 'Your joking right, nothing, nothing at all. My parents spent the whole summer fawning over me as they had to Cedric is whole life. But to me, it was like they were completely different people. Growing up, I was jealous of the extra attention he received, but Ced always looked out for me and intended to do the same for my brother, who was now in my shoes.'

"Thanks" I replied sarcastically before turning back to the train wiping away my tears. I quickly boarded the train I gave my father one last look before I felt the train lurch into motion.

Finally, I was going home.