Chapter 61

Layla

-

The sun was beaming down in the Hospital Wing. I liked the way it shone through the windows and gently onto Draco's relaxed face. The day had passed, and Draco was yet to have woken. A few people had come past. Our group of friends had dropped by too.

Seamus had bought the book I was contemplating reading when we were last in the library. So that gave me something to do. But most people had left now. Having it been a Sunday, most wanted to enjoy their break. I, on the other hand, couldn't imagine doing anything other than sitting here. I tried to read, but I couldn't seem to focus, though. Every few seconds, I would look up to check on Draco.

It was scary seeing what had happened. Seeing Draco so terribly injured broke me. The whole situation was a reminder of my feelings. How far I had fallen.

"Layla!" Pomfrey said, walking over. "Take a break, please." I sighed, about to convince her not to kick me out. But suddenly, Dean and Seamus arrived at the door. I knew at this point there was no point trying to resist, so I walked out, followed by the two boys.

"So... Seems like a nice day for a little reunion in the Gryffindor Common Room." They both hurried to my side, scared of what would happen next.

"Is this worth it?" Seamus said, trying to calm me, earning him a glare from Dean.

"Harry nearly killed him, Seamus!" I huffed, speeding up as we neared our destination. "Of course, it's worth it."

I felt my heartbeat out of my chest as we stood at the door of the Gryffindor Common Room. I hated confrontation more than anything, but at this point, I knew it was one-hundred per cent necessary. Harry had to know what he did hurt Draco badly. He needed to understand that he wasn't in the right.

So as Dean muttered the password and Seamus tried to convince me otherwise, I entered the room.

"Layla, please just-"

"Just, let her."

I had to do this.

-

Harry

-

All was quiet. Everyone seemed unsure of what to say. Yesterday, I had cast a spell on Draco Malfoy. The spell caused him to bleed out... A lot. Most people would feel bad after such an encounter. But Draco deserved it after what he did to Katie. Didn't he?

Suddenly the quiet was destroyed by a group entering the Common room. I lifted my head to catch sight of Dean Thomas, Seamus Finnigan and... Oh shit. Layla.

The last time I had seen her, she was in tears over Draco. She obviously cared for him a lot, considering she was always backing him up. That is how I knew this wasn't going to end well.

"Layla-" Seamus pleaded.

"No," she shot back, walking over to where my friends and I sat. Tears were running down her face, and she looked exhausted. Yet somehow, she was full of fury. "It's funny, don't you think?" She said, her voice wavering. "People get expelled from this school for using magic outside of Hogwarts. Yet you," she pointed at me sobbing quietly, "you nearly just killed another student and somehow, you are still here."

"Draco nearly killed Katie!" I fired back, "he's still here."

"You have no proof he did it, Harry!" I opened and closed my mouth, unsure of what to say back. I watched as she caught sight of something on the table. "God, it was that stupid book, wasn't it? You got that spell from that bloody book!"

I watched as she stared at the book and muttered something under her breath. Hermione gasped from behind me, causing me to look at what Layla had done. The book had caught on fire. The flames had died down, but the book what just an ashy mess.

Layla was furious as she stomped away. Suddenly, my mind went back to last year when Layla had punched Goyle in the face for Neville.

-

"How did you do it? He apologized to Neville this morning, even going as far to call himself stupid," Hermoine said, clearly still shocked.

"Badgers," she pauses, "Badgers tend to become aggressive when threatened. Did you know they have been known to fight off predators larger than themselves? Hufflepuffs aren't all sunshine and rainbows, y 'know? What do you think they mean by a fierce friend?"

-

I have fucked up.

-

Layla

-

"Look, I've eaten, showered, and grabbed a few of my things. I want to go back now."

"Well..." Dean thought for a moment. "I suppose it's been two hours... Fine." He sighed, but I jumped excitedly. They hadn't allowed me to return to Draco until I 'Took care of myself.' I was glad to finally be returning to check-in.

I felt a lot better after my little run-in with Harry. The book was gone, and Harry seemed stumped. I spent the next time where I was told to take care of myself worrying once again. I was scared for Draco. But now I would go back.

As I walked in, I was greeted by a smiling Pomfrey. "Two hours, that has to be a record." She sighed before saying, "he's still asleep, though. I pursed my lips and looked over to the bed sadly. Despite his peaceful state, I was beginning to worry. It had been a full day since the incident, and yet there was no progress.

Taking a seat next to him, I held his hand once again. Pulling out my book from my bag, I began reading my book. Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen. It was a lovely book. It was one Draco had wanted to read himself.

Suddenly I noticed some movement from Draco. When I looked up from my book, his eyes were fluttering. I gasped and hugged him tightly. I heard a chuckle slightly in a raspy voice. My heart rippled when I heard his laugh.

"How are you feeling," I whispered.

"Surprisingly well for someone who nearly died." I flinched at the mention of the incident causing Draco to look at me with a sympathetic look. "I'm so sorry you had to see that..." He whispered, nearly crying.

I took a deep breath, building up the courage to ask what I had been pondering. "It-It's alright. I'm just glad you're ok at this point." He smiled and nodded. "Draco?"

"Hm?" He said, now examining the book I had been reading.

"I have to ask... I know I said I wouldn't, but..."

"Layla," he said, placing his hand on my cheek. "Just say what's on your mind."

"Did you curse Katie Bell?" I whispered, my voice trembling. He let out a deep, shaky breath, tears beginning to fall. My heart dropped. I had a feeling it was him, but I couldn't assume. And now I kept asking myself, why?

"Layla, you have to understand. I didn't want to hurt anyone. It's just- My family, they-" He huffed out in anger. "I can't tell you exactly. Because if I did, you would hate me. But my family are involved in some pretty scary stuff, and this is what I have to do to protect them and everyone else I love."

His eyes lingered on me when he said those last few words. I wish I had done more at that moment, told him how I felt and how that would never change. But I didn't, and I would come to regret it.

You never know who you can lose within the span of a month or two.