Chapter 72

Present time

Finding Mundungus

A clattering sound filled the house, interrupting the vast silence. It had only been yesterday when Layla's world came crumbling down. She lost her brothers, sister and the Weasleys, who were practically family. But now, she had a distraction. Whether it was the journal or the task at hand, she was keeping busy. It was best that way.

The trio rushed to the sound, Layla following slightly behind. When she arrived at the scene, in the doorway stood Mundungus with two house-elves hanging off him. Soon enough the three of them toppled over. Layla walked into the room.

"As requested, Kreacher has returned with the thief Mundungus Fletcher!" Kreacher said in a monotonous way. Anger, an unfamiliar feeling for Layla built up inside her. This was the man who left Mad-Eye to die.

"What are you playing at -- setting a pair of bleedin' 'ouse-elves on me! " Mundungus hissed. But Layla felt no sympathy for the man. After all, at least he was still alive.

"-And then Dobby saw that Kreacher was talking to the thief Mundungus Fletcher, which Dobby thought was very, very-"

"I'm no thief, you foul little git. I'm a purveyor of rare and wondrous objects -" Layla scoffed quietly.

"You're a thief, Dung. Everyone knows it," said Ron, partially catching everyone off guard.

For the first time since they entered the house, Dobby looked towards where Ron and Layla stood, his face instantly lighting up. "Master Weasley! So good to see you again! Oh! And Layla, oh, Layla Diggory!" She smiled politely at the elf, completely ignoring Mundungus's attempts to explain himself. It doesn't matter anyway. What's done is done.

"When you turned this place over, don't deny it! you found a locket, am I right?" Harry said in a warning tone. After a moment of brief argument, he gave in, telling us about this locket.

"Bleedin' gave it away, din' I? There I was, pitching me wares in Diagon Alley when some ministry hag comes up and asks to see my license. Says she's of a mind to lock me up and would've, too, she hadn' taken a fancy to that locket."

Something about his statement bought a face to mind. One of which she didn't wish to recall. Looking down at he arm, she caught sight of the scarred word that trailed up her wrist and to her shoulder.

"Well, she's right there, In't she? Bleedin' bow an' all."

And there she was. In all her glory, there stood the witch.

I guess this was time to confront Layla's demons.

One of which took form in Doloris Umbridge.

-

Laying on her back, she stared up through the mass of leaves above. They were back from the ministry and they had the locket. The fall had knocked the air out of her, and now she felt as though she would pass out. She quickly stumbled to her feet, taking note of Harry laying not far away. But as she looked into the distance, she caught sight of something far more disturbing. Ron had been hurt.

Layla's hands began shaking as she ran over, stumbling into place next to a frantic Hermione.

"Vulnera Sanentur," Layla whispered, holding her wand out above the deep gash in his arm. Though the majority of it healed, Hermione still applied the liquid. It caused the wound to fade into nothing but a scar.

Hermione stood and began doing protection charms. But Layla remained by Ron, watching him intently.

That could have been worse, was all she could think. What if Ron had died?

This is dangerous, more so than she first thought.