Chapter 23

Draco

-

"Wake uuuuuup!" A small voice whines. I open my eyes. I'm still in the basement. My eyes flutter to a smiling face by the stairs. It was Layla. She looked beautiful. However, she wasn't the one who had woken me. A small bright face boy sat next to the couch. "Morning Draco," Charlie chirps, "Layla couldn't wake you... So I did."

"Well, thanks Charlie," I say, my voice hoarse, "merry Christmas buddy." A massive proud smile spreads across his face, and he turns, running up the stairs. He looked a lot like Layla. Speaking of Layla, there she was, ripped black jeans and an olive-green sweater. Her hair fell in neat waves down her back, her piercing green eyes seem to glow more than ever and small freckles dotted around her tan face. God, she was beautiful. How was I suppose to keep her safe, when I looked at her this way? How was I supposed to keep her safe, when I couldn't help but want to talk to her?

"You ok?" She says, her smile slightly faltering.

"Yeah," I pause, looking up and smiling at her, "yeah, I'm actually great." I see her face light up, much like her brothers not long before. It was nice having someone who cared enough to smile about something as minuscule as me being happy. It meant more than you would probably expect. Draco, the bully, happy.

"Come on then," she giggles "Cormac and Charles are starting to lose it." My smile spreads wider. This family was perfect... If you completely cut Laylas parents out.

"Yeah, I'll be up in a minute." As she leaves, I let out the breath I didn't know I was holding.

How can someone make me this choked up?

-

Layla

-

I walk up the narrow stairs, catching my breath. Every day it got worse, I was falling further and further. But I can't! He would never like me like that. I'm shocked he even let me be his friend. But just like everyone else, one day he will get sick of me. Then he will leave. Like Abbie, like Cedric, like grandad, like every friend I've ever had and like Jemma... No. I'm not falling back down this rabbit hole. It's Christmas Layla, there's no time for this.

"Layla!!!" Charles screams, running down the hall to where I was standing.

"What's wrong?" I look him up and down franticly to see if he is hurt.

"No, I'm alright," I let out a sigh of relief, Charles is the baby of the family, both Cormac and I spent our childhood looking after him about him.

But next year he'll be alone. Cormac will be in his first year, and I'll be in my sixth. Charlie will be stuck here for a year with my parents, with no one to look out for him.

"Look Santa ate the Cookies!!!!" He squeals, holding up the plate. I laugh,

"you had me worried," I pull him into a hug, "I'm sure he loved your cookies," I whisper into his ear. He pulls away and looks at me,

"Sorry I made you worried," he smiles. "Layla-bug," he says, tilting his head slightly, "why are you crying?"

I didn't even realize it. I quickly reach up and wipe my tears. But before I know it, Charles has pulled me into another bear hug. "Are you sad about Cedric?" he whispers.

"Sometimes, but you and Cormac make me happy."

"Sometimes I get sad too," he whispers, "but I know that I still have you and Cormac. I miss him, but I have you guys," he smiles.

A door creaks behind me, and Draco emerges wearing dark blue jeans and a red sweater.

"Hey," he smiles, I feel my heart flutter. I turn to see Charlie halfway to the sitting room,

"CORMAC! DRACO'S AWAKE!" I laugh, shaking my head, Draco also seems to find it funny.

"You look lovely this morning," he chirps. Wait really. He thinks I look lovely. What if he's just being sarcastic! Do I look ok? Maybe he's just trying to be polite. No, he said I looked lovely. My heart grows warm, and I bite my cheek in an attempt to hold back my smile.

"Thanks, you too," I quickly let out. Oh, god, I sound pathetic. "Although I never thought I'd see the day Draco Malfoy wore red," I giggle.

"Hey, I'm trying something new," he smirks.

"No, no, I'm kidding it looks gr-"

"Layla!" Cormac yells, "hurry up!" I feel Draco turn to me, a contagious smile spread across his face, making me feel faint.

"Merry Christmas Layla."

I hope everyone had an amazing Christmas. I haven't really written much recently because I've been... busy... or lazy. Anyway to my three readers (including myself) Merry Christmas and don't forget to vote.