Chapter 58

"Layla?" I heard Ginny call from the room as I stepped out of the bathroom, freshly showered. I called out to her, letting him know I was listening. "Why is there an owl for you at such an hour?" I got an uncomfortable feeling in my stomach, one of sickness and nerves. As I rushed up to the room and caught sight of the owl, it certainly didn't ease.

The owl which sat on the ledge of the window belonged to Draco.

Petting the owl as I did so, I ripped open the letter fast. Ginny had left the room by now, leaving me in peace. I knew Draco couldn't write under his circumstances, so it caught me off guard to see the bird. Finally, unwrapping the letter, I noticed the words presented in Latin.

I had learnt Latin, despite the language being unused. I just had to think.

Get sunt. Et veniens sunt.

Get sunt,

Meant, get out.

Et veniens sunt,

Meant, They're coming.

My heart dropped reading the words. I knew who Draco was speaking off. So as I rushed down the steps, alerting those who stood in my way. Soon enough, it happened. A ring of fire appeared around the Burrow, causing most to head outside.

My heart was beating out of my chest as we watched upon the sight with horror. Suddenly, from a black cloud, Bellatrix Lestrange and Fenrir Greyback appeared. I held my wand firmly in my hand, watching the two run into the swamp area where Harry had arrived at the beginning of the year.

Soon enough, Harry shot into hero mode, running in after them, closely followed by a naive Ginny. I sighed, contemplating my options. I caught eyes with Remus, who nodded. So with that, I followed after Ginny. The foliage around the swamp was tall and damp. I couldn't see a thing. So I just ran as fast as I could.

Eventually, I found her deflecting spells in a clearing. I jumped beside her, using a protective charm on the curse headed her way. She looked back and smiled. Suddenly, Harry joined us. We stood in a circle, each deflecting spells and firing them back. But as we did so, I noticed it wasn't only the two Deatheaters, Peter Pettigrew. He wasn't firing spells, though. Peter just stood there staring me down.

I felt shivers crawl up my spine. He was the man who killed my brother. I lifted my wand, pointing it at him. Three other figures came bursting through the bushes, Arthur, Tonks and Remus offering their help. However, all went silent. But before I knew it, Bellatrix and Fenrir were gone and headed towards the Burrow. Suddenly, the sound of breaking windows emitted and a bright light covered the building. My heart sank. The Burrow was gone.

Arthur looked terrified as he ran back to check on his kids and wife. We all followed, but I lacked behind with Tonks. I knew Jemma, Charles, and Cormac were fine as they had left when I had. But still, something weighed down on my chest. I felt tears roll down my cheeks silently. He had chosen to warn me. Draco risked himself for me.

He knew that what he was doing was dangerous, but he still did it. As I found myself outside the Burrow, everyone seemed to be in utter shock. Luckily everyone was alive. Jemma's head was buried in Charlie Weasley's shoulder, and Cormac was comforting Charles. I wasn't sure what to do.

My tears fell more rapidly now upon the thought of Draco doing such a thing. Clearly, Ron had noticed because I quickly felt two arms wrap around me in a comforting way. I had seen him on my way down the steps and told him of the letter. He knew why I was upset.

I had expected such understanding from Ron after everything last year. But apparently, after seeing Draco's kindness towards me, he had come around.

"Ron, you see," I sobbed into his shoulder. "He risked himself. If they knew, they would have killed him on the spot." I looked up at him solemnly. He responded with a nod and pulling back into a hug.

I felt as though Ron understood now. He understood how I could love such a boy.

"I know," Ron whispered, "I get it now. Draco's a good guy."

-

The platform was bustling upon arrival. I smiled as I found a worried Pansy who scanned the area carefully. When she finally caught my gaze, she ran over, engulfing me in a hug. I breathed out and wrapped my arms around her as well. She pulled away and grabbed my face, staring me right in the eyes. "Oh my God, I'm so glad you are ok."

I noticed Dean and Seamus walking over at speed, similar expressions to the one Pansy wore. "Are you ok?" They said simultaneously. I smiled and nodded.

After many more similar discussions, our whole group had arrived. Our whole group being, Seamus, Dean, Eleanor, Daniel, Pansy, Blaise, Neville and I. So with a few goodbyes, we set off and onto the train.

I walked behind the group with Blaise, who was still worried about my mental state when I caught sight of a pale face. Draco had frozen in the middle of the hall. Blaise looked between us, confused.

Without any hesitation, Draco walked over and wrapped his arms tightly around me. Breathing a sigh of relief, he let go and held my shoulders tightly. "Thank God you're alright." I nodded, unable to speak.

"Since when were you two speaking again?" Blaise interrupted with a smile. We pulled apart nervously before sharing a glance. We both burst into laughter. "Ok, well, if you aren't going to tell me, at least come sit with us." We both smiled and nodded before taking a seat next to one another in our compartment. They seemed confused but obviously didn't mind.

Soon enough, everyone was chatting with ease, even Draco.

I smiled as I watched them in such a state.

This is how it should have always been.