The Pandemic, The Dog and The Girl with the Saddest Eyes.

CHAEYOUNG's POV

I can't sleep.

I don't know why I feel different. 

I have never been this interested in a particular person before.
My interest in her grew even bigger as I learned more about her from other people.

She was really popular in this University by the way.

Well it started last year.

A week before I started working here, she left the school with out any explanation.
The opening of classes has already started for over a week that time when she suddenly filed for resignation. The Dean talked her out about it but her decision was firm. It was Dr. Jisoo who managed to persuade her not to resign and just take a vacation instead. The Dean didn't even accept her resignation since she's one of the department's finest Professors.
But it did cause the department especially Dr. Kim a huge problem since the loadings and schedules of the Faculty were all settled and the classes have already started. It was hard to hire another substitute Professor that time so they have to revise all the schedule again.

And because of that, most people here in school named her the Prodigal Teacher.

The reason why she left was still unclear. Nobody here in school would dare spill the beans.

Not even those people close to her.

To be honest, I am more interested in her not because of that incident. The truth is, months before I accepted the job last year, I already met her twice.

And I'm not sure if she will recognize me tomorrow if she sees me.

FLASHBACK

July 2020

It's been a month since we moved here in Seongnam. A month after the "Quarantine" was lifted and our country was totally free from the virus. 

Everything is slowly starting to go back to normal.

Stores and businesses were now open.

People now have a reason to celebrate.

But not all.

The pandemic left us with a lesson that not everything is permanent.

That life, nature and everything we hold dear is not ours and can be taken away.

It's just sad that we learned it in a hard, brutal way.

I was driving my car for almost an hour with out a clear destination and I found myself parking outside the church.
I could really use God's guidance right now because to be honest, for the first time in my well organized life,

I HAVE NO PLAN.

I've been sitting and blankly staring at the altar for God knows how long, praying for a sign when a small dog suddenly leaped at me. The dog stared at me with its puppy eyes asking me to carry it. It was a pure black mini dachshund wearing a blue bowtie collar.

"Hello cute little fella. Are you lost?" I greeted while placing him in my lap.

The dog was so frantic, and I don't know why but it kept on sniffing and licking me as if he knew me. He was whimpering silently.

"Hush now dear. Stop crying. Mommy is here now." I told the dog while stroking its back for comfort. I don't know why I said that. Maybe that's the usual things to say to make your child stop from crying.

As if the dog would understand.

"Leo." I heard a woman's voice from afar behind us.

I looked at that direction and there I saw her walking towards us.

Funny, how I used to laugh at romantic movies cause I really don't believe in the concept of love at first sight. Those slow-mo moments in movies makes me cringe.

But God, the way she walked towards us was way better than all the slowmos I have watched in the movies.

I have never seen such a beauty like this in my entire life.

I even gasped the moment I saw her.

She was wearing a faded ripped jeans and a loosed black jacket. Her long, blonde hair cascaded down her back were swaying and dancing in the wind from the cold afternoon breeze.
Her plump delicate lips that made me unconsciously bit my own, wondering how would it feel, if it touches mine.

Oh God Chaeng please scratch that.

 You sounded like a pervert there. 

You're even inside the church for crying out loud.

I shook my head, trying to shake off this weird feeling but it was no help.
I have never seen a person in full bangs and such a messy hair but can still look so damn hot and cute at the same time.

Wait, I sounded too gay for that.

Stop it Chaeng. You were never gay.

I have never felt this gay my entire life.

WAIT...

YOU CAN'T BE GAY..

ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU'RE INSIDE THE CHURCH PRAYING FOR A SIGN.

IT'S NEVER A GOOD SIGN.

"LEO." she called the dog again, but her gaze was fixed on me. She was about to get the dog from me when she suddenly stopped and stood frozen.
I don't know if my eyes were playing tricks on me,
but I saw her kinda pretty startled at me for a moment. I can't explain why but it seemed like my presence somehow affected her because I heard her voice cracked and her smile faltered when she called the dog again.

"Leo, baby let's go."

"Your Mommy is waiting for us.." she said in a low voice.

The dog instantly went to its owner as if he understood everything she told him.
The dog doesn't even need a leash cause it was walking closely along with its owner.

I was watching them leave when she glanced back at me.

And for the first time in my life, I felt the world suddenly stopped.

There I saw, the saddest eyes I have ever seen.