Canvas & Notepad

Hello everyone,

Thanks to all for voting and commenting on the previous story.

I am here with a new one shot... I hope you guys like it as I haven't really gotten back into full swing writing.

"Gauri...." Pinky calls her as she walked into her room. Then stops in shock seeing Gauri removing her mehendi. "What are you doing?"

"Removing the mehendi." Gauri replies to her confused as she continued to scrub her hand. "Function is over."

"You are not supposed to remove it."

"Why not? I've work."

"Gauri, you were supposed to sleep with it. Don't you want your mehendi to be dark for your wedding?"

"Whatever for?" Gauri asks confused. "What does this have to do with my married life?"

"The darker the mehendi that much your husband would love you."

Gauri turns to her mother in exasperation and asks, "So you mean to say that my husband's love for me would be proportional to my skin cell and lawsone from the mehendi?"

"What?" Pinky asks confused. "Can you stop doing that?" Pinky asks her as she grabbed Gauri's hand to stop her from scrubbing.

"Ma, please... I have important work. The next two days I won't be able to work on my paper. It is very important."

"More important than your marriage?"

"Marriage is happening, Ma. It has nothing to do with my mehendi. But working on my paper, I can't do it with my hands full of mehendi."

"Can you stop that?"

"Rudra has too many relatives. He told me his house would be full of guests. So, I won't be able to work on my paper. You know, every minute is precious."

"Oh, that reminds me, Omkara is here to see you."

"Omkara?" Gauri asks confused. "Why does he want to see me? that too this late?"

"He said Rudra sent you something."

"Really?" Gauri asks confused.

"Please don't let him know that you took off the mehendi." Pinky tells her as Gauri walked out.

"They are not going to call off the wedding because of this." Gauri tells her mother as she ran down the stairs.

*************

"Erm... Hi." Gauri says as she walked into the living room.

Seeing her, Omkara quickly stands up. "Hi."

Gauri smiles at him as she conversationally asked, "How did you get out of the house?"

"What?" Omkara asks confused at the strange question.

"I wanted to go to my university, but Ma wouldn't let me step out, saying that it is inauspicious for the bride or groom to go out the day before the wedding." Tomorrow along with Rudra and her, Omkara was also getting married.

"Oh." Omkara muses then he looks around to see if they were alone. "Rudra is here."

"Where?" Gauri asks curiously as she looked around.

"Your parents wouldn't let you guys meet the night before the wedding as it is inauspicious." Omkara tells her.

Gauri chuckles hearing that, "Such madness. So, where is he?"

"Outside. Can you come out?"

Gauri looks around for her parents, and after making sure they were not around, she quickly tells him, "Come."