The Perfect Husband

Thanks to all for voting and commenting for the previous story.

Previous Story : Abandoned Series 1 : Fallen (posted on 22- Apr - 2023)

Belated birthday wishes to rikarabharnal_life

Started writing this as a Drabble but it is a short story.

5 years old Gauri excitedly opens her eyes and realizing that it was morning, she excitedly jumps out of her bed and runs to the bathroom to freshen up.

Gauri excitedly runs out of her room as she couldn't wait to play with her new friends.

The Oberois had come to their place for vacation. Oberoi Dadi was best friends with her Dadi. It was their Dadi's 60th birthday and she had come back to their village and they were staying at her place as their Dadis spent time with each other after decades.

"How come you are awake so early?" Vasundhara asks shocked seeing Gauri running towards them.

Gauri stops and looks around disappointed. "Where are Rudy and Om?"

"They are still sleeping." Jhanvi informs her.

Gauri's face falls hearing that.

Seeing her sadly pouting, Jhanvi lovingly tells her. "Don't worry, sweetie. Om will wake up in sometime. Rudy will take time."

"How long is sometime?" Gauri asks as she walked to them.

As if in answer, they hear the bedroom door open and Gauri excitedly turns back and sees Omkara walking out.

"Om, you are awake!" Gauri excitedly says as she ran to him and hugged him.

Omkara looks down at Gauri, she hardly reached his chest. At 9 years, he was a tall boy and at 5, Gauri a short girl.

"Where is Rudy?" Gauri asks him.

"He is sleeping."

"Hmmm let's go play." Gauri tells him.

"Before that, both of you go and have your milk." Vasundhara tells them.

"Come, Om." Gauri takes his hand and leads him to the kitchen.

"And after they leave, you wake up like this for school too, Gauri." Vasundhara calls out to her.

Without replying, Gauri runs off to the kitchen as she dragged Omkara with her.

Vasundhara and Jhanvi smiles. Then hearing giggles they both turn and look at their mothers-in-law as they whispered and giggled. Vasundhara and Jhanvi chuckle seeing how two different generations were so excited to be with their friends.

**********

That evening, Kalyani and Saraswati watched as their grandchildren played with each other.

"They remind me of us." Kalyani says.

"I know. We were so inseparable as them." Saraswati says happily smiling as her granddaughter played with her best friend's grandson.

Chuckling, Kalyani says, "Remember how we planned to get our children married?"

Saraswati smiles. "Yes. Who would have thought that we both would end up with only 1 son each."

Kalyani chuckles as she watched the kids. Then she turns to her friend and sees that her friend had also turned to look at her. Instantly they realized that they both were thinking of the same thing.

They laugh happily. "But I have two grandsons. How are we going to choose which one?" Kalyani asks her.

Saraswati turns to look at the kids. Gauri and Rudra were playing with each other while Omkara was sitting a little away from them and drawing.