chapter 61

I barely had time to think about my personal life...

Chan's pov~

I was working with an full schedule from inside the main hospital, half time in out patient. When I entered medical school I took on three medical fields. Cardiology and Pediatrics, Oncology. I did so because that's what was needed to properly treat patients in off the Grid areas where I'm from.

I knew I had took on a lot, the odds were stacked against me. I had to distanced myself from my family. I only had contact with my sister the most in those days. Because of the past I wanted nothing to do with the family. What I wanted so much was to help people in my own way.

There were hundreds of children that weren't vaccinated in those regions in my home country. And I made it my mission to help them. Even though I done awful things in my life. Especially of what I've done to Sierra. I wanted to make an different especially with the project I worked hard to put together. I know I needed to properly apologize to her but she wasn't letting me do so. In which is an whole nother problem in itself.

So as I looked at my schedule once again. I had an stint surgery today, cases of several children being admitted because their parents didn't have them vaccinated. It showed up in their medical records. Either they missed coming in for some or they hadn't had the ones that are crucial for their age group. And a couple of Cardiac patients due for check ups.

I chose the Cardiac patients first of course. I then went on to surgery, it was an success. After I took an small break in which consist of sitting back in my desk chair, closing my eyes for fifteen minutes or so. And it did help somewhat. But for the life of me I spend on and off thinking of Sierra, the children that haven't been vaccinated.

And a swirl of thoughts ranging from " How can I approach the situation with Sierra."

" How best should I handled the situation with those kids. "

Hoping it wasn't parental neglection. Or was it their beliefs not to. But having them vaccinated can save plenty of lives. I had to figure out how best to speak to the parents / or parent. Because sometimes things can go left in those cases. I just needed to take my assessment, go from there. And when I was finished I planned on seeing Aya and Sierra soon.

*
*
*

I can't believe I came in with kid gloves. Just thinking I could find out what course of action to take. And it would be easy.

But nope. It turned into an race for time. Weird thing about it. The cases were connected because they went to schools in the same school district. And I couldn't see how the cases were closely connected. Until everything was on the line, an child was going into cardiac arrest. The parents put two and two together when one set of parents spotted another.

And it was revealed that their children had went to the same swim class. And an idea formed in my mind. Out of four kids that came in at almost the same time, they all went to that same swim class / Recreation Center.

It was proven that they did share the same life style. Three out of four because one set of parents didn't share it but they did forget to bring their child in to the hospital for an couple of years to be vaccinated.

Turns out they all tested for Diphtheria.

A serious infection of the nose and throat that's easily preventable by a vaccine.

A sheet of thick, gray matter covers the back of the throat, making breathing hard. And they were all having trouble breathing. But one kid was suffering longer, I wasn't sure why she went into cardiac arrest. Maybe it was underline health condition that wasn't explored yet.

But all was in stable condition accept for one child. Her case was different from the other three. She wasn't fairing well. And it made me upset that this all could've been avoided if they were vaccinated.

It hit me in the gut seeing the little girl lying there. So small with all the tubes, machines to help keep her alive. And I thought of my own little girl. That could be her. I could only imagine of what her parents were feeling right now. And I tried my best to give comfort, encouraging words. But they were focused on their child. As they should be but they also looked like what they needed was to rest.

*
*
*

And when I took the time out to rest myself. I was interrupted by my phone ringing inside my lab coat. It was my family's lawyer. I reluctantly answered.

" Is this a good time to talk ? " he asked politely.

" Sure. "

" Well I have some bad news. Your immediate family. Meaning uncles and aunts, cousins. They have formed together to contest the will, " he explained.

" How much time do I have ? " I asked annoyed. I was rightfully so because I knew they didn't have an case to take to court. But I wasn't taking any chances.

Especially if I'd marry Sierra. They couldn't do anything. It would be air tight. But I had to convince her it would be the best thing to do. In which it was.

" Two months from now. And Chan you need to show up married. I know you don't want to drag this thing for an long period of time. So I strongly suggest you show up. "

" I know. I know. Bye, " I told him, hung up the phone. Placed my phone on my desk, leaned back in my chair, began to rock back and forth.

Thinking on how the best way to approach this. It'll be an long shot to get her to accept it. Two months wasn't a long time period to do so. But I had no other options so I had to do what I had to do.

Do you think there will be an easy way for Chan to propose marriage to Sierra ?

Thanks for the 81k reads ❤