thirty-one

( chapter ) thirty-one

( chapter )
thirty-one

JAMES POTTER NEVER KNEW HOW
much he cared about Cassiopeia Black until she had fallen asleep, her head resting on his shoulder.

He smiled down at her as she slept, her chest rasing and falling as she took in soft breaths. Every now and again she would let out a short snore, which made James chuckle slightly, his smile never faltering.

That was until the collar of her shirt fell down, revealing another bruise on her collarbone.

The bruise wasn't that big, but it was a deep brown, having a slight yellow tint around the edges. James felt the smile fall from his face.

He had seen her with bruises since they had both gotten back from Christmas break, but they all looked rather old apart from one or two of them. They looked like they had been there for awhile, and James didn't think to panic that much, even though he could feel a mix of worry and anger in his body.

But this bruise looked as if it had been done only hours before, but Cassie and James had been together nearly all day, starting off with more Transfiguration Tutoring  and then just enjoying each others company.

Before James could think twice, he began to shake the Slytherin awake.

Cassie let out a small groan as she opened her eyes, her dark eyes met James', and she rolled her eyes before shutting them again.

"The fuck do you want Potter?" She asked, her voice rather soft and hoarse since she had just woken up.

James ignored the feeling he got in his stomach as she spoke, and instead shook her again.

Cassie's eyes opened and she looked at him, he lazily pointed to the bruise on her collarbone. Her eyesight followed his finger, she didn't need to look at the bruise to know what he was pointing at.

"So?" She asked, sitting up so her head was no-longer resting on his shoulder.

"So? That's all you have to say?" James replied, letting out a frustrated sigh as Cassiopeia only nodded. "You're parents are abusing you? and all you have to fucking say is 'so'?"

Cassie stared at him, her face blank, unreadable. But the thoughts running through her head were going millions of miles an hour. Beginning with, how does he know? and if Potter knows, who else knows? Sirius? but if Sirius knows, why hasn't he said anything, does he actually care? Of course Sirius cares, she scolded herself. He just may not know about the curse, he may think it's only hitting still, and I hope that's all he thinks, all he knows.