𝘀𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗻𝘁𝘆-𝘀𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗻

( chapter seventy-seven )

CASSIOPIEA BLACK LAY WITH HER head resting in James' lap, her legs were resting against the other arm of the sofa. She had her glasses perched on her nose and a book in her hands.

The cover of the book was old, the edges of it fraying and some of the inked words rubbing off from the pages. The colour on the front had began to fade, the once bright red cover now nowhere near as vibrant as it had once been. The golden words that had been painted on top of the red had began to peel off. White pages had turned the colour of very weak tea and smelt rather similar.

James played with a few strands of Cassie's hair as she read, not wanting to move even if he was slightly bored. The red polish on his nails had began to chip slightly, but he didn't mind, he was rather excited for when he could ask Cassie to paint them again.

This was due to the smile that was on her face when he had said yes the first time she had asked — that smile meant everything to him and he would do anything to see it more often.

"This is utter shit." Cassie said, a small frown on her face as she closed the book, one of her fingers marking the page that she was currently on.

"What is love?" James asked, raising an eyebrow at her bluntness.

He had leant forwards slightly so that his face was above hers, his glasses slid off his nose as he looked down at her and his hair fell down onto his face lightly.

He smiled softly as her doe eyes stared up at him.

"This story." She thrusted the cover of the book up into his face, he grabbed her wrist gently and pulled it back so that he could allow his eyes to focus on the writing on the cover.

"Romeo and Juliet." He read aloud, letting go of Cassie's arm and she held the book to her chest once again.

"What's wrong with it?" James asked, furrowing his eyebrows in confusion.

Cassie let out a small sigh.

"It's just." She thought for a second, "It's not a love story, it's a story about two kids who are selfish and get six people killed."

James let out a small chuckle as she continued to speak.

"And then there's the fact that none of the words make sense, like; thy, lackluster and other shit."

She opened the book to a random page, one of her fingers still marking the page that she was on. She read for a moment, before she pulled a face.

"And please, never write me a poem as it isn't a good idea."

James shook his head, before his eyes widened and he looked down at Cassie with a smirk on his face.

"Oh no." She said, without missing a beat, "That's the face you pull when you had a bad idea."