eighty-two

( chapter eighty-two )

CASSIOPEIA BLACK WANTED THE ground to open up and swallow her whole.

Maybe she'd allow it to spit her out later.

Maybe.

But, before the ground swallowed her whole - she wanted to know why Nova Goyle thought she could sit next to her.

The blonde had glanced at Cassie a total of one time throughout the course of Dumbledor's speech, but she quickly looked back at the old man when she noticed to look on her old friends face.

Cassie, for some reason that she didn't exactly understand, wanted to punch Nova in the face.

She didn't, for obvious reasons, but she desperately wanted to.

Nova tried her hardest to ignore to burning in the back of her head from where Cassie's eyes continued to stare at her, the stormy colour of them having turned darker over an hour ago.

She pushed the potatoes around on her plate, hardly touching her food and Cassie did the same.

Nova quickly looked over her shoulder once again to see that Cassie was still staring at her, the expression on her face not far from one of pure disgust.

The blonde rolled her eyes, not stopping herself from asking:

"Can I help you?"

Cassie let out a hollow chuckle, stabbing the meat on her plate with her fork as she looked away from Nova for a moment.

"You can fuck off, that'd help."

A few of the students sitting around Cassie raised an eyebrow at her, while a few others let out small laughs, but they all tried to make it look as of they weren't listening in on the conversation.

Nova scoffed, now turning her whole body to face Cassie's, who was already looking at her.

"You can be a bitch, you know that?"

"Wait, a bitch? That's new." Cassie looked down at her nails for a moment, before looking back up. "I thought it was slut."

She shrugged as Nova turned a slight shade of red.

"It's both, the only two words that describe you perfectly if I'm being honest."

Nova had no idea why she was talking back to Cassie like that, the reason she had sat down next to her in the first place was because she wanted to apologise for what she had said and done the previous year. Even though it had taken her time, she had realised what she was doing was wrong, very wrong, and she wanted Cassie to know that she had realised that, even if it was too late.

She missed when the two of them were friends, she missed having someone she could open up to without the risk of being judged by them. She missed having someone who could make her laugh in any situation, someone who would never fail to make her feel good about herself when she couldn't help but feel insecure. She missed having someone who knew everything about her and vise versa, someone that she could be herself around.