Chapter 36: Icecream Tension

The night of washing was successful. You put it in the dryer immediately after, falling asleep to the sound of your suit being whirled around in the machine.

Of course, you snapped awake once the harsh buzz invaded your ears. You were quick to stand up and take the suit out, folding it up hastily before rushing back upstairs into your room.

You put it in your suitcase as well as your webslingers, letting yourself sigh in relief.

Finally. You could sleep-

Is what you thought. Once you laid in bed your eyes just couldn't close. You tried. You tried so hard, but something kept nagging you. Was this really how it was going to go? Another restless night?

Yeah. It was only when the birds started chirping that your eyes finally fluttered closed, and you snoozed into the early morning to early afternoon for a few hours.

And during that time your door echoed with a knock, snapping you awake within seconds. Your eyes, despite being so heavy, didn't hesitate to shoot open like dinner plates.

"Can I come in?" the familiar voice of your father figure chimed.

"YeaH" your voice croaked back, and the door opened. he stepped in cautiously, nervous he was invading your privacy- but he was surprised to see you, hair a nest and eyes droopy.

"Did you just wake up?" he rose a brow, and you directly gazed at him.

yeah. you really did. what made you nervous was how he'd take your answer..

"Would you be mad if I said yes..?" you asked cautiously, and he gave you a look. You averted your gaze because of that, but he slowly approached, giving you no choice but to look again.

Please don't be mad please don't be-

"Are you really okay? Lately you don't seem to be doing too well. You look super tired.." he pointed out, and you froze.

You knew this whole 'night shift' thing was going to be heavy on you, but the fact one of your parents actually pointed it out was concerning. Were you hiding your secret well enough? What if they were catching on?

"...yeah, just having a few sleep problems but it's not that bad" you responded, and that answer didn't seem to let your dad ease up. If anything, his concern grew more with the purse of his lips.

Shit.

"You sure about that?" He pressed on, and you felt like sweating buckets by then.

"Y-YeAh I mean I'm fine, I'm trying to sleep more don't worry. It's just hard sometimes. Kind of like I'm not being allowed to sleep- but it's just me overthinking that. It rarely happens" you probably dug a hole twenty times deeper then before. You're stuck in a hole you dug yourself.

'Will adrien come to the funeral..?' You thought with a tightened throat, and your dad sighed.

"I'll talk to your mom about it" he said, making his way out of your room. You were still practically holding your breath.

"At least eat by the way, brunch is an option" he said before stepping out, softly shutting the door. You sighed in relief. THANK. GOD.

But talk with your mom? That's..vague. And scary.

'What if they tell my actual parents? I'd probably just get scolded or something for troubling them..'

During the crisis your phone next to you buzzed, averting your attention. It's either one of your friends or another YouTube notification to bother you.

You unplugged your phone from charging and looked at the notification, seeing a few from adrien  from a few hours ago and a recent one from marinette.