Chapter 19: Annoying Cat

Today felt different.

It was the weekend, cool, but you usually didn't wake up feeling so refreshed.

In other words, today you woke up snuggled in your blankets, actually in bed.

You stayed sprawled out in sheets, letting your eyes blink to life. You slowly brought your hands up to rub them, rising up into a sitting position.

The sizzle of oil rung into your ears as clear as the morning sky, and the smell of pancakes wafted through your nose. It made your stomach growl in approval, which got you slipping out of bed.

You decided to go against using your phone and went straight downstairs, hearing chatter between your guardians in the kitchen.

Making it past all the decorated walls, you peeked around the corner, spotting your father eating a fluffy stack of pancakes. Your mother, who was pouring the batter in the pan, seemed pleased.

You slowly walked in, sitting across your dad at the dining table. He greeted you with a grin, cheeks stuffed with food.

He swallowed, and finally spoke,

"Morning kiddo, you look lively" he pointed out, and you sent him a grin,

"I could say the same thing about yourself" you chuckled, and a plate was set right in front of you. Your hair received an affectionate ruffle.

"Morning sweetheart, eat up" she hummed, swaying back to the sizzling pan with her oily spatula.

You dug in immediately, pouring sweet syrup over the stack before stuffing your mouth. Your dad, who cleared his throat, made you look up at him in curiosity.

With cheeks full like a squirrel and syrup drooling from your lips, you looked crazy.

"So, today if you aren't doing anything, we'd like you to help us set this console up! We bought it, but just need help setting it up. It'd be fun since I'm actually off work today. How about it?"

Your heart almost exploded with joy, your eyes widening.

Finally, finally,

A taste of home.

-

"No, you need to- THATS THE WRONG CABLE"

"George, honey-"

"ITS NOT MY FAULT" the man eventually whined, cables jammed into the consoles base. You face palmed, and his wife stared at the instructions.

"It's the other cable you plug in" she untangled the mess, and you correctly popped in the right adapters.

You laughed, hand cupping over your mouth to muffle yourself. You never realized how amusing the pair were, but glad you spent some time with them now.

"I didn't think it was that hard to set up a Nintendo switch, huh?" You teased, and he gave a defeated glare.

"Don't expect me to go easy on you when we play Mario kart"

"Like you'd beat me anyway"

"Excuse you, but I'd beat you BOTH" your mother chimed in, and your heads both whipped towards her.

"Yeah right" you huffed, only making her smirk smugly. You would not lose to anyone.

"Bring it on" your dad huffed, ready for a challenge.

At this moment, all seemed well (kind of), all felt extremely playful too. There was a light feeling in the air despite the argument that was going to break out. Key word was.