Chapter 63

Courtney

We saw Mrs. McKay come in with notebooks and pencils and pens. "Hello class. Sorry I was late." She apologized. She handed out everything to everybody. I got a green notebook. I opened my notebook and put my name on the inside.

"Okay, let's get started. You guys know each other so you don't have to be introduced. So, let's start off with... Science." She said. I sighed. Science is my worst subject. She turned to the whiteboard and started to tell us what science was all about.

__________________________

I can go to sleep in class to tell you the truth. I was so bored. We had to take down so many notes. "And that's how you get the answer forty-four. You got it now, Fulton?" Mrs. McKay asked.

"Yeah, I got it now." Fulton said. Then, the bell rang.

"Okay, I'll take you to school every other day, and you guys have to walk home for exercise. The office is also providing you with backpacks so take one on your way out. Goodbye!" Mrs. McKay said.

She sat back down at her desk and started to do work. I got up and got a backpack. I put my notebook, pencil, and pen in there. I walked out and Adam came to me. He held my hand.

"I like this school. It's better then my school back home." Adam stated. I nodded.

"Yeah. Mostly 'cuz there's less students." I implied. We started to laugh. We walked out of the school and down the stairs. "I don't know. I kinda like school. Just in case I don't make it to pros." Adam looked at me.

"Come on, Courtney. You're gonna make it. In no time, we will get scholarships for hockey, then we will play in the NHL together. You are the best player on this team." Adam stated. I smiled.

"I'm flattered Adam, but really..."

"You are Courtney." Adam said. He kissed the top of my head. I smiled. I didn't know how many boys were hitting on me when Les told be that.

And I would have never guessed that he likes me. But I love Adam, and maybe Charlie.

Charlie.

How long has he liked me? I thought he just liked me as a friend, not like that.

__________________________

I put my backpack back down at the house and went to the living room. I sat down and sighed. Finally, time to relax. "Okay team! Meet in the backyard!" I heard Coach yell. I rolled my eyes. I saw him come by. And he was wearing a suit again.

"Coach?" I asked. I stood up slowly. Coach stopped and looked at me.

"Hi Jane. What's up?" Coach asked. I stared at him.

"I should be askin' you the same thing." I said. I pointed at him. "What's up with the suit? Goin' to a meetin' later, or a date?" I asked. Coach looked at me like I was talking in a different language.

"I always wear a suit." Coach insured me. I shook my head slowly.

"No, you wear a shirt and jeans and maybe a ball cap, but..."

Dammit.

He's gonna be that strict coach again.

"Well, this is what I told Charlie when we got our jerseys and he wanted us to be the Ducks again, it's business, Courtney. You'll understand later." Coach snapped again. He walked outside.

I went outside too. Everyone was in their USA sweatshirts and sweatpants. I changed into that to when I got home for comfort. "Line up everyone!" He yelled.

We lined up on one side of the grass. "Find a partner." Coach said. Adam came straight for me. Well, him, Dwayne, James, Johnny, and Les came to me. I looked at Coach. He kind of laughed. "I'll pick." They all backed up into lines again. "Charlie, since you were really the only guy who didn't go to Courtney, you guys are partners."

Charlie came to me. "Connie and Guy. Dwayne and Jessie, Adam and James." That's going to be a mess. "Julie and Goldberg, since you guys are goalies, Luis and Ken, and Fulton and Dean." He said. "Face each other in a line." We all got into two lines facing each other. He got a bag of soccer balls and passed them out to every group. Charlie got his.

"Okay, you guys are gonna have to go to the other side with the soccer ball. The people not facing me, you have to try to get the ball and not have them go to the other side." Coach explained.

"Uh, what does this have to do with hockey?" Les asked. Coach looked at him.

"It helps with offense and defense." Coach replied. I looked over at Adam and he was staring at Charlie like he was super mad.

"Is he looking at me?" Charlie asked. I looked at him.

"Yep." I sighed.

"He said he wasn't mad, but I think he is. "