Chapter 11

Adam

"Why do I need to watch out for him?" I asked as I shot Charlie a confused look.

"Look." Charlie said. "He won't let Courtney hang out with a boy by themselves unless it's with me. To tell you the truth, he wants me to go out with her but she doesn't like me. She likes you." Charlie explained. I stared at him.

"Do you like her?" I asked. Charlie stared at me. "You can tell me, I won't care." I stated, even though I would. Charlie sighed.

"Yeah, a little. But, she likes you and you like her so I know I don't have a chance with her. You're a lot better at things and a lot stronger." Charlie confessed. I smiled.

"Hey, don't think like that. She might stop liking me and go straight for you." Charlie nodded sadly.

_______________________

We were all sitting in the chairs for about an hour. My stomach started to hurt from stress. I saw a nurse come out of a door with a clipboard.

"Who's here for..." The nurse paused. "Courtney..." We all started to stand up. "Stanford." We sighed and sat back down. "Oh, excuse me. Courtney Jane." We stood back up. She looked back up at us. "Okay, please follow me." We followed her through the halls of the hospital.

We finally stopped at a room which the door was closed. "This is her room. Make sure to be quiet because she is still sleeping. But, the surgery was successful so she may go back to playing hockey." The nurse said happily.

We all stared to jump around in excitement. "Okay, let's go in." We stopped jumping and walked in slowly. Courtney was on the bed, sleeping. She had an IV in her arm and she had tubes in her nose.

"Oh, Courtney. Charlie, go to her." Mr. Jane demanded. He stared at me. I sighed and looked at Courtney. Charlie went over and grabbed her hand. She started to move and open her eyes. Her beautiful light green eyes.

"Charlie? Adam?" She moaned. She started to get up. The nurse ran over to Courtney and grabbed her shoulders, then laid her back on the bed.

"Hi Courtney. Stay still. You'll recover faster if you do." The nurse said.

"The game. I can't miss it. It depends on whether we got to the playoffs or not." Courtney complained. She made a face like she was in a lot of pain. The nurse went over to the counter and got gloves on. She got a shot and walked over to her. She lifted up Courtney's shirt and put the shot into her and took it out.

"Okay, let's have her get some rest. With this shot, it will take care of the pain, but it's like an anesthetic, she won't remember what's going on." The nurse explained. We nodded and started to leave.

"Wait! Charlie! Adam! Come here." Courtney yelled. I looked at Coach.

"Mr. Jane and I will wait outside." Coach said. They both left. Charlie and I walked up to her.

"We have a game. Work as a team. Tell Les and Jesse that, I don't think they know." Courtney stated.

"Okay, we'll see you tomorrow after the game." I leaned in and kissed her, this time, on the lips. She kissed back. I leaned back. Charlie came closer.

"Hey, since you are going to forget." Charlie leaned in and kissed her on the lips. I did mind a lot, but they looked really cute together. He kind of leaned back, but still by her face. She started to play with his hair with the hand that didn't have wires on it.

"Charlie. I didn't know you liked me like that. For how long?" Courtney  asked.

"Since pre-school." Charlie confessed. He leaned in one more time and then he leaned back. He came to me. "Sorry man..." I smiled even though I wanted to punch him in the face.

"It's alright."

__________________________

I was at home, lying on my bed the next day. Courtney is hurt all because of me. I heard someone come into my room. "Hey Adam. We have a game in thirty minutes. Hey... What's wrong?" Dad asked. I sat up in my bed.

"The game! I totally forgot. Shoot." I said, ignoring Dads question. I sprung out of bed and started to put all my things in my hockey bag.