Chapter 12

Adam

I grabbed my bag and my hockey stick, then ran out the door. I ran over to the car, where Dad was leaning against the door, waiting. "Ready for your first game as a Duck?" Dad asked. I smiled slightly as I opened the car door. I looked up at him.

"I think." I replied. If we screw up this game, game over, no championships. My stomach started to turn.

We need Courtney in order to win.

"So, how was the hospital?" Dad asked. I sighed in disappointment as we both climbed into the car. I buckled up.

"I feel bad. Really bad." I replied. I put my head down.

________________________

We were all in the locker room while Coach started to talk to us about Courtney. "Okay guys, listen up. Courtney is in the hospital. She broke a rib." Coach announced. Everyone was starting to whisper to each other in shock, but not Charlie or me.

I looked at Charlie, but his head was down because he knows that Courtney can't play, and is probably feeling bad, too. "She needs to recover for about a week, then she can come back. And in one week, if we win today, we will be in the championships!" Coach yelled. We all started cheering. "So! What are we going to do?"

"Win!" We all cheered.

"And we are going to do it for Courtney!" Coach cheered. We all stared to cheer again. "Okay! Let's go show those Cardinals who's the best birds around here!" Coach yelled.

We all got up and started to go out of the locker room to the ice. We skated to the bench area. Some stayed out on the ice while others go into the bench area and sat down. I got inside and was sitting next to Les and Connie. Coach got between us and put his hand out. "Quack, quack.." Coach said quietly. We all looked at each other and smiled. We put our hands in the middle, one at a time.

"Quack, quack, quack, quack, QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK GOOO DUCKS!!" We all cheered, faster and faster till we through our hands in the air.

"Okay, Banks!" Coach called out. I looked at him. "You're taking Courtney's spot. Center ice."