Chapter 30

Courtney

"Are you ready?" James asked. I looked at him.

"Oh, yeah. Let me get my skates." I said. I ran into my room. I went to my hockey bag and pulled out my skates. I came out. James handed me the rose. "Aw James. You didn't have to do that."

"But I wanted to." James said. I smelled it. It smelled and looked beautiful. I looked at Dad.

"Hey Dad, can you put this in some water?" I asked. Dad nodded and took the flower from me.

"I'll have her back home by nine. Is that okay?" James asked.

"Hell, you guys can stay out later then that if you want." Dad said. I smiled. James nodded. He opened the door. I walked out first, then he did. We started to walk out.

"How old are you?" I asked. James looked at me weird.

"I'm thirteen." James replied. I looked at him.

"Really?" I asked. He nodded. "So it's your last year in Pee Wee Hockey?"

"Yeah. But I still wanna be with you. How old are you?" James asked.

"I'm twelve."

"Okay. That's cool." James said.

"Yeah, I'm turning thirteen in January." I added. James nodded slightly.

"What day?" James asked.

"The twelfth. It sucks having a January birthday because it's flu season." I said. We both started to laugh. "Where are we goin' skating?"

"There is a lake around here that is really pretty at night, ever seen it?" James asked. I smiled.

"I used to play hockey on that lake before Coach Bombay came and picked us up." I said.

"Who was on the original team?" James asked.

"All of us except for Adam because he was on the Hawks team, so he's not an original player." I said.

"Yeah, I remember Adam on the team. Show off for sure." James laughed. I started to laugh.

___________________________

We got to the lake. We went on the bench and started to put our skates on. We started to skate. James told me everything about Australia. It sounded really cool. I love his accent too. It pretty strong, but I can understand him.

"Hey! Stafford!" I heard a boy call. We stopped skating and looked up. There was four Hawks players, including McGill.

"Oh no." James whispered.

"What are they gonna do?" I asked.

"Get away Courtney." James demanded softly.

"What?"

"Go! Just go!" James yelled in a panic. I started to skate away. I looked back and saw two of the Hawks players get James and the other two, after me. I skated faster. I felt hands get my arms. I jerked to a stop.

"Where you going cutie?" One asked. I could tell it was McGill.

"Let go of me!" I screamed on the top of my lungs. I struggled to get out of their arms. I tried to yell loud enough were Charlie, since he lives right by me, could come and save James and me.

"No way." McGill snapped. I looked behind me and saw Freeman, his first name is Luke, and Ross, his first name is Nick, pushing James, really hard.

"Why are you dating a Duck?" I heard Luke asked while he let out another shove.

"I'm not dating her, mate!" James yelled as he attacked Luke, they got into a big fight. Two against one.

"James!" I cried. McGill turned me over so I was facing him. He grabbed my waist.

"You don't deserve James, you deserve me." McGill said. He started to lean into me.

I got an idea.