Chapter 4

Courtney

When I got home, I automatically went into my bedroom and got ready. I grabbed my shirt and jeans out of the closet and threw them on my bed. I then took off my tank top and my hockey undershorts. I ran into my bathroom -- which was connected to my bedroom -- and turned on the shower. I got the rest of my clothes off and jumped in. I took a ten minute shower, then got out.

I grabbed my towel and dried off quickly. I ran into the bedroom, threw my towel on my bed and put my clothes on. I ran over to my closet and got my shoes on. After that, I ran back into my bathroom and did my makeup and also blowdried my hair. Once I was done, I sprinted to the door with my skates in my hand, grabbed my jacket on the coat rack, then I turned away from the door.

"Bye, Dad!" I yelled. I started to leave to meet up Banks at the lake. I grabbed the doorknob and was about to turn it.

"Where you goin'?" Dad asked. I stopped turning to doorknob and started to freak out. He would not let me hang out with a boy by ourselves, except if it's Charlie. Dad loves Charlie.

He told me he wants me to marry Charlie.

Yeah, marry him.

"I'm goin' to, um, the lake, to um, practice with Charlie." I lied. There was a pause. He made the face he always makes when he can tell that something isn't right, so I was expecting him to say I couldn't go. But instead, the look ran off his face, he shrugged, then smiled softly.

"Okay, have fun! Don't be home too late!" I sighed. I ran out the door before;

A: he wants to come with or

B: he changes his mind.
__________________________

I got to the lake, but I didn't see Banks. I sat on the bench and took off shoes and started to put on my skates. I got my right skate on and tied, then that was when I started to put my left one on. "Hey." I heard a familiar voice say shyly. I looked up and saw Banks, then I smiled.

"Hey, Banks." He started to laugh a little. He sat next to me and started to put his skates on. There was a awkward silence as we both got out skates on.

"I never got to get your name." Banks stated, finally breaking the silence. I smiled and looked at him.

"Oh, name's Courtney Jane. What's your first name? Or is Banks your first name?" I asked, I tied my left skate. I heard him start to laugh as he started to tie his other skate on.

"Adam, Adam Banks." I smiled and nodded. I tied the skate in a bow, then sat up. He got done putting his skates on. He got up and turned to face me. "Should we?" He asked, holding out his hand. I started to giggle.

"We shall." I grabbed his hand then he helped me up. We walked over to the ice from the bench. I let go of his hand and put them in my jacket pockets. We stopped right at the lake, then we stepped on the ice carefully and started to skate. I looked at Adam. "I can't be too long because Dad will start to worry. Also, I have a game tomorrow." I stated. Adam looked at me.

"For hockey?" Adam asked. I nodded and sighed, looking down at the frozen lake.

"Yeah. It's supposed to be a big game. I know we're gonna loose with the team we're goin' up against." I confessed.

"Who are you going up against?" Adam asked. I sighed again.

"The Hawks." I looked up at the dark sky. "Man, I used to watch their games all the time. Dad used to take me to the games because he used to play for the Hawks. He taught me how to play hockey by watchin' them." I looked at Adam and smiled.

"My favorite player is #9. I never saw him take off his helmet... But I was in love with him. I could never see his last name either because I'm, uh, kind of poor, so I sat on the top. Man-oh-man, was he the best. I used to draw pictures of him. He's why I'm skatin' today."

"Wow... I-" He stopped talking, coughed, then started to talk again. "I mean, he, must of done a lot you your life." Adam implied. I looked back down at the ice and smiled.

"Yeah... He did."

__________________________

"Dad?" I asked softly. We were on our way to the game.

My first game with the new coach.

"Yeah, what's up?" He asked. I sighed.

"How did you do for you first game?" I asked as I looked at him. He smiled as he kept his eyes on the road.

Oh yeah, he played for the Hawks when he was my age.

"I was positive and believed in my team." He replied with a sense of pride in his voice. I nodded my head softly, looking back down at my shoes. "Here we are." He parked and turned off the car. I looked up and saw the rink we were playing at. I swallowed hard. We got out and I ran to the trunk of the car.

I opened it quickly, got my bag and my stick, then slammed it shut. I ran and caught up with Dad. He opened the door, then I started to walk in with my dad following behind me. We both stopped walking. He turned to me as I kept staring at the rink. "I'm goin' to the stands to get a good seat." He looked back at me and smiled lightly. "You go get ready." I nodded.

"Okay." He put his hand on my shoulder, smiled a little more, then walked off. I watched him walk off. I smiled a little. Then I started to walk to the locker room.

"Courtney! Courtney! Hold on!" I looked behind me and saw Charlie running up to me.

"Hey, Charlie!" He came over and gave me a hug. We let go of each other and started walking to the locker room. I looked at him. "How are ya?"

"Good. You?" Charlie asked as he looked at me. I shrugged.

"Nervous, I guess." Charlie nodded in agreement. I looked back and I saw #9 from the Hawks team. I stopped walking and turned to face him. "Oh my gosh." I whispered. Charlie looked at me as he stopped walking.

"What?"

"It's... it's #9. I can't believe it." I replied with a little smile. Charlie looked back.

"Uh, who's #9? And why is he wearing a ski mask?" Charlie asked. I shrugged.

"He was my favorite player in Pee Wee hockey." Charlie and I looked at each other at the same time. "I guess he doesn't want anyone wantin' to know who he is." I implied.

"Let's just get to the locker room."