Chapter 59

Courtney

We won the game 4-3. It was a hard game and I was so tired. I was lying on the bed ready to go to sleep. I had an urge to call home for some reason. I sat up and called my step moms cell phone.

"Marissa Jane speaking, how may I help you?" My step-mom answered.

"Hey it's Courtney." I said. There was a pause.

"Oh, hi Courtney. I thought your were the doctor calling." My step-mom said.

"Oh no it's... Wait, doctors? Are you guys alright?" I asked in panic.

"Well, me and your dad is okay." She explained.

"How about Keith? Is he okay? Can I talk to him?" I asked. I started to get nervous.

"Well, you can't talk to him." She snapped. I really started to get nervous. Then, Adam walked in.

"Hey Co- Oh, I'll wait." Adam said, he started to leave, but I motioned him over to me. He came over and sat next to me.

"What's goin' on?" I asked. Another pause, but I can kind of hear her crying in the background. "Mom?"

"Keith..." She said, more crying.

"Mom, what's wrong with Keith?" I asked.

"Keith has cancer and may not live." She blurted. I couldn't move, I was in so much shock.

"What?"

"Well, Keith wasn't looking or acting right one day, so your father took him to the hospital. They did some tests on him and said he has brain cancer, stage three." She said. I started to cry.

"No, no this can't happen. How much longer does he have to live?" I asked. I saw Adam stare at me. I stared at him too.

"You might have time to talk to him when you come back." She explained. I put my head down.

"Is he in the hospital right now? Where are you?" I asked.

"At the hospital. And at the hospital. Want to talk to Keith?"

"Yeah..." I sighed. There was a pause.

"Hello?" Keith said with a weak voice.

"Keith, Keith it's me, Courtney." I said. I was trying not to cry.

"Hi. How's Cali? And the....." There was a huge pause.

"Keith?!" I yelled.

"The games." Keith finished. I sighed in relief.

"They're good. We won both games and tomorrow we play Iceland." I explained.

"Good. You go beat them now." Keith said. I laughed over my crying.

"I'll try. Yeah and I met our cousin for the first time, grandma too." I blurted.

"What's their names?" He asked.

"Our cousin is Ocean Jewell." There was a pause.

"Really? Tell her I said... said... hi. Her and Grandma. And I'm a huge fan." Keith asked. I nodded and sat up in bed more.

"I will. Hey, I'll let you rest. Get better." I said.

"I'll try." Keith said.

"Ok. Bye." I said.

"Bye. I love ya." Keith said.

"Love ya too."

"Oh... Courtney..." Keith said.

"Yeah?"

"Don't give up." Keith said. I smiled.

"Okay, you don't either. Bye." I hung up. I put my face in my hands and started to cry. Adam came closer to me and put his arm around me.

"What happened?" Adam asked. I dug my head into his chest. Hearing his heart beat keeps me calm.

"Keith's dyin'."