Chapter 44

Theo turns his back to us and disappears from our sight, Crawford had taken a few steps in his direction and looked over his shoulder to me

"This has to stop, Zara."

I nod and he walks off in Theo's direction. I know he's right, I do need to stop.

Why would Theo say those things? Why would he want to hurt Thomas like that?

I should have known this would happen. I had a gut feeling he was not the right person to mess around with and his behaviour has confirmed exactly that.

Thomas helps me up and looks me up and down. "Are you still sore?" He asks with his hand over my belly.

"I'm fine," I reply, dusting off my clothes that are now wet from the melting snow.

"Great. Now, do you want to tell me what the fuck has happened and why you just lied to my face about Theo?" He says with an angry tone, face screwed up slightly.

I huff and cover my face with my hands. "It was nothing, Thomas. He was trying to piss you off and you let him."

He snorts and shakes his head slowly. "I'm not buttoned up the back, Zara." He stands away from me. "Tell me the truth. What the fuck are these then?" He points to my neck, the obvious red circles that tells an extremely messed up love story.

"I... um..." I can't admit it, I can't tell him that Theo was right and I went behind his back. If I don't then what is the point?

"I wasn't thinking... just like last time we were here, I wasn't thinking then either."

"Last time?" He interjected. "What do you mean last time?"

I try to say something, anything, but whatever else comes out will either be a lie or something close to a lie.

"You and Theo were here after you and me... when Mac took everyone. You slept together then too?" He asks and I nod, staring at my feet.

I have done it again, hurt this boy who worships the very ground I walk on.

"Fuck this." He snaps, turning around and walking up the path that takes you to the play park we grew up in as kids.

Do I follow after him? Probably, yes.

Should I run after Theo? No, why the fuck would I do that.

Anything I try to say to Thomas right now would be ignored, chewed up and spat back out again.

I head toward the house but stop when I see torch lights in the distance, the night sky is luring in so the street lights have yet to flick on.

Who the hell is that? I can see two dogs on chains trying to run ahead but pulled back by men holding guns.

Shit!

"Thomas!" I yell as I turn around and run as fast as I can to the park.

He is sitting with his head down on a swing, rocking backwards and forward.