Chapter 34

"Z, you need to hurry up or you're going to be late for the dance

"Z, you need to hurry up or you're going to be late for the dance." I hear my sister yelling from downstairs, the sound echoes and floats around me like water.

I'm lying on my bed staring at the roof, except it isn't my room.

"Z!" Her voice gets louder and I hear footsteps coming up the stairs, there are so many stairs by the sound of it, the footsteps and creaking stairs has been happening for about twenty minutes now.

Where am I?

I try to move my head and fail when I hear the door opening up and slamming, repeatedly.

My sister's voice on repeat telling me to hurry up, getting angrier each time.

"I'm trying to get up!" I try to scream but no sound leaves my mouth.

"Mom! Dad! She won't get up! Tell Thomas to just go with Ella."

Who the fuck is Ella?

Why would I go to a dance with Thomas fucking Edison?

Thomas is one of the biggest losers in my school, he is completely obsessed with me and creeps me out.

Well, I secretly have a crush on him but no one will ever know this.

"Z, you need to try to get up! Please get up and run!" She's over me now, straddling me and shaking my shoulders but I don't feel anything.

Her eyes are wet and cheeks flushed, she looks scared

"Zara, can we go swimming please." Cole appears beside me, his blue eyes are bigger than usual and his face is slanted to the side.

"Cole..." I try to say but still, no sound comes.

"Where is Thomas, he is my best friend ever." He throws his arms up in excitement and starts jumping up and down.

"Don't look at him, Z. Keep your eyes open and try to get up." My sister is frantic, her hands are on my face but I don't feel them either.

The more I think of it, she's sitting on me but I can't feel her nor can I feel Cole trying to grab my hand and shrieking in my ear to take him swimming.

"Z, we don't have a lot of time, try to get up." Adrianna is pleading with me now.

What is she talking about?

She's scaring the shit out of me and if I could speak I'd tell her to get the fuck off me and get out of my room.

"Mom, tell her..." she trails off, standing next to me now, how did she get off me so fast?

"Zara Bell Coulter, you get your ass out of that bed right this minute! I mean it, young lady." My mom is tossing her finger at me and shaking her head in disgust.

"Your father will be disappointed in your behaviour recently." She sneers at me and takes a few steps closer.

What did I do?