Chapter 2

"Good morning, beautiful

"Good morning, beautiful." Theo leans over me, stroking brown strands away from my face. His shocking blue eyes are hooded from his sleep, blonde hair falling over his forehead as he hovers over me.

I love waking up to him over me like this, rasping his Scottish accent in my ear with his body against mine, like broken puzzle pieces...far from perfect.

He has black ink running all over his arms and chest, legs and back, skulls, vines, and doves mixed with other designs.

He let me colour them in once, then got mad because I had used a sharpie on him. He had to stand in front of the entire camp and give orders with a pink arm, expecting to be taken seriously.

His playful side always makes me laugh.

But, not when it's barely morning and I'm tired as shit.

I roll over to try to get him away from me, I'm not a morning person and I was out most of the night with Thomas before I ran away from him.

I'm tired enough to contemplate killing Theo when he pulls off my blanket and slapped my ass, playfully, obviously, but my rage spikes.

He always does it, the annoying Scot has a fascination with my behind.

He might be the big terrifying leader to everyone else, but he always laughs when I try to get mad at him, which makes me burst out giggling. In the beginning, I made it tough for him when he tried to speak to me, gave him hell when he tried to train me, so he's used to my fiery attitude.

But Theo is dangerous, probably the most feared out of everyone we've come across.

And I need him to keep me and my baby brother safe.

Cole had snuck out of our tent this morning to go in with Thomas, he always does it, likes to cuddle into him.

Theo isn't fond of children, but he does try, even when he has no idea what the hell Cole is saying.

He kisses my forehead, telling me he has to go sort out the work schedules. I hold him for an extra minute, a heaviness in my heart as he smiles and winks on his way to the camp.

When I eventually get to Thomas' tent to pick up Cole, I take a deep breath, knowing he's going to act salty about last night. I don't blame him, I really don't, but he never accepts when I say it's over and almost always manages to lure his way back in.

"Hey, Cole. Do you want to go get some breakfast? We should let Thomas get some rest since he was on guard all night."

I try my best to avoid his scowl burning into the side of my head as I walk into his tent.

Cole ignores me.

Sighing, I kneel so I'm eye-level. "Come on. You can help me pick the fruit." I hold my hand out to my brother as he shakes his little blonde curls and points at Thomas.