Chapter 21

"You can't ignore me forever, Zara

"You can't ignore me forever, Zara."

Yes, I fucking can.

I continue walking through the bushes ahead of me, arms crossed, and a deep frown planted on my face.

I have no desire to converse with the snake slithering behind me, shouting on me for the past three fucking hours.

I'm fighting it, the feeling to turn around and kiss him, tell him I missed him and we can forget it all.

I want him to pull me against him, wrap his arms around my waist and tell me it was all a dream.

We have been walking for some time now, the sun was starting to get low enough that the shadows from the trees are gone and the temperature was plummeting. I have no idea where we are going or if Theo even has a plan, all I know is that I couldn't bring myself to look at him, so walking ahead was the best option.

"Zara come on, babe." He huffs and a twig flies past my head.

Did he just throw a fucking twig at me?

If he calls me babe one more time, I'm going to shove the thickest, sharpest branch up his ass.

He huffs again, kicking his feet about.

"Zara."

I roll my eyes, stopping in my tracks, nearly causing him to crash into me, and throw him a pissed look over my shoulder.

"Don't speak to me and don't fucking dare call me babe again." I spin on my heels and pace away from him, towards a small shallow pond. I hear him muttering under his breath but didn't catch on to what it was.

Running through the mud earlier wasn't the best idea. Especially trying to keep up with this fucking giraffe of a boy, who has legs nearly the length of my whole frame.

The mud has hardened on my arms and face, it was starting to get uncomfortable on my skin. I crouched down and splashed the water up to my arms and rubbing away the thick lump, cupping the water in my hands and throwing it over my face.

Theo is covered in mud too, but he makes no move to copy me, leaning up against a broken trunk with his arms crossed.

"We need to get shelter soon before it gets too dark." He says, pushing off the trunk and walking past me, his shoulder shoving past mine and I nearly fall straight into the pond.

"Asshole," I whisper to myself as I dry my hands on my legs and hurry after him.

"I'm sure you have a bunch of names to call me. So, batter on, throw them at me and get it over with."

"I hate you," I snap, and his shoulders tense, glancing at me. "I wish you died instead of everyone else. Because of you, I've lost my... I lost everything."

"I'm sorry," he replies. "Cole... he..."

I raise my hand to stop him. "You don't get to say his name, Theo. I hold you responsible for everyone I've lost, the mere sight of you makes me sick."