What? Why did I do that? I hate this fucking douchebag.

He sensed the uneasiness of my words as soon as they left my mouth and shook his head, smirking.

"Zara can be quite sensitive, what would they do to her?" He asked me, not taking his eyes off the wall opposite us.

"Bad shit, not something I was able to fight against but I ran as soon as I had a chance. It turned me into a dark bastard but Zara pulled me out of it." I admit. I know he would hate hearing about the two of us and I would be the exact same if I heard it too.

I told him everything that happened to me, right up until I refused to kill the girl I loved.

He sat and listened to my every word, how I was punched and kicked the shit out of by everyone for punishment, I refused an order from my dad to cut one of Cole's fingers off. It got me a few broken ribs that I had to hide from Zara.

The day I got back to camp Zara wanted to take Cole swimming but I was covered in bruises and couldn't take the chance. I was a dick about it as well which earned me the silent treatment for days.

Thomas winced on Cole's name and without thinking my hand landed on his shoulder for comfort. I removed my hand just as fast when I realised what the fuck I did.

Nice one, prick. I say to myself.

I told him about the shit they did to me to make me snap, I was drowned and resuscitated three times in a row every day for 6 months, it messed with my head so badly and made me physically ill. I explained that I had probes all over my body with electricity running through me that was close to making my teeth snap from gritting so badly. I didn't return to camp for days after, they put me in a medically induced coma for 13 days, because of the damage they caused me at one point.

One time I felt piss trickle down my leg from the intensity, far too embarrassed to mention that part to Thomas though. I hadn't even told Zara half of the shit, just told her that I had a hard time and got through it, the basic tortures I endured and I was fine now, even though every night I have dreams that shatter me all over again.

I had to strangle one of my good friends until he was blue in the face and his pulse had long disappeared. A test my dad wanted to take that the little experiment was working. I tried to fight against the urge so badly that I was begging him to forgive me and fight me back, to try to kill me.

"You killed a few people, does Zara know that or did you keep that all secret too?" His words were soft, not one trace of venom from him which surprised me, almost as if he felt sorry for me and I fucking hate that feeling. I'd rather he knocked my head off than to look at me with pity.

"She doesn't need to know how fucked up I am, not really. But she is strong, strong enough to not snap if we don't get her quick enough."

Thomas leaned back against the wall and pulled a blanket over himself. "I love her, man."

"Yeah, I love her too." I huff.

"You know when we were in school, she ignored me every day then would sneakily come next door to see me, told me to keep my mouth shut about it too." Thomas sighs next to me.

"Then, when all that crap happened it was as if she didn't need to hide anymore, no slipping notes to each other and pretending we had to study together to our parents. Then you came along and we went back to sneaking around."

I had this in school, kind of. My last girlfriend was fucking beautiful, not Zara beautiful but still, she was this girl who had a very strict family. I had to meet her in secret places all the time. I fucked her the first time I met her and ever since she was nervous her family would know. We eventually moved in together and well, you know how that all goes...

Thomas sits back up again to continue but I cut him off.

"I really don't need to hear this shit, you had a little crush on her growing up, so fuck."

"You don't understand Theo," shaking his head at me. "Zara and I have lived next to each other our whole lives. We've always had each other and I've loved her for as long as I can remember. It was never just some silly crush, still isn't."

I can feel my knuckles getting whiter with each word, my nails digging into my palms. I need to calm down before I smack him. Or worse, tell him that days ago I was balls deep in Zara repeatedly as she yelled out my name.

Hearing this shit hurts like fuck, the way the two of them have been for so long really opens my eyes to a bigger picture with the two of them.

If what he is saying is true then why did it take a war for her to realise?

It was never fake with us, no sneaking around, I'd grab her ass and fuck her in front of anyone if I could and kiss her so much people would pretend to gag.

Fucking hell, I would get down on my knees and beg her to forgive me in front of the whole world if that's what it took.

"Well, Thomas... let the best man win."

He laughs next to me and dunts my shoulder with his and lies back down.

I lie down too, inches from him and close my eyes and picture my girl under me with my hands teasing her body.

"Let the best man win."

-OLD VERSION-UNEDITED