Meethe pal

Sameer enjoyed the special jeera alu and matar paneer that Bela had made for him, his mind at peace now that he knew taiji won't be coming back to rain insults at Naina, atleast today. For future, he was ready to tackle her in the manner that her bird brain understood. There was no point talking sense to her or to explain things... the derogatory stance and abysmal beliefs would not change that easily. It was better to talk to her in her language.

"Beta, tum aur lo na... pasand nahi aaya kya? Kuch aur bana dun?" Bela offered him more paneer.

"Nahi chachiji, khana bohot achha hai... isliye toh itna kha liya... ab toh saans lene ki jagah bhi nahi bachi... aur kuch nahi kha paunga." Sameer held onto his last spoon of curry, stalling chachiji's efforts to add more vegetable to his plate.

"Aise kaise kuch nahi... meetha liye bina thodi khana poora hota hai." Chachiji kept the dish back, picking up the bowl of rasgulle.

The spoon dropped from Sameer's hand. Since Naina was sitting next to him, some drops of curry spilled on his shirt and a few on her kurta.

Chachiji looked up in alarm, "Arre, arre, yeh kya ho gaya? Naina, jaldi se Sameer ko leja aur isse saaf kar lo... nahi toh daag reh jayega."

"Haww... itne bade hokar khana girate hain... main toh bilkul nahi girata." Pralay sniggered at them.

"Main bhi nahi girata tha pehle... abhi hi shuru kiya hai." Sameer whispered to him softly before following Naina to the room he was longing to visit... with her.

The child stared after him, his face contorted with confusion.

"Yeh kya tha?" She asked, rubbing his shirt with a damp towel as they stood in the bathroom.

"Kya? Maine kahan kuch kiya? Bas chachiji ki baat pe zara sa hil gaya tha... ki unhe kaise pata meethe ke bina mera khana toh kya koi kaam poora nahi hota." He circled her waist, kicking the door shut with his foot.

Naina looked back at the closed door in panic.

"Sameer, yeh kya kar rahe ho... pagal ho gaye ho kya?" She squirmed, scared that chachiji might come in any moment.

"Ho gaya hun... tumhare liye... pyar mein pagal... itni der se sirf dekh ke kaam chala raha tha... ab jaake haath aayi ho." He pulled her with a jerk, making her crash against him.

"Lekin koi aa gaya toh? Pata hai na doosre bathroom ka nal kharab hai." Her voice wasn't as forceful as earlier... the touch equally soothing for her.

He looked into the brown eyes, his fingers digging into her waist, "Maine Preeti ko ishara kar diya tha... koi nahi aayega."

The colour made its appearance again, creeping up from the neck to her face.

She had twisted her hair in a knot, a little higher at the back of her head... to escape the heat. He eyed the knot... but didn't move his hands.

"Chachiji ne kaha tha... meetha zaroori hota hai." His voice was heavy... his eyes going down to her lips.

Her throat went dry... they were just a door away from her family... who was waiting for them to come out soon...

She was aware what a kiss would flare up... and this was not the right place, or time...

But she couldn't move back... couldn't deny him... couldn't retract... until she gave in, to the need that was now theirs.

He started to lean, making her heart thud harder against her chest... it felt like the day when he had come to celebrate her birthday... the same need, same urgency, same place, same fear... but still, it wasn't the same...