Kundali

"Ab tum jao... warna der ho jayegi." Naina brought Sameer out of his thoughts.

"Hmm... aur tum?" He looked at her in the mirror.

"Main kya? Mujhe toh bas saree pehenni hai aur baal banane hain." She said plainly.

He stepped back, crossing his arms as he leaned against the cupboard, "Pehno na, mujhe bhi seekhna hai."

She smirked, "Saree? Tumhe pehenni hai kya?"

"Nahi, par tumhe toh pehna sakta hun na." His eyes devoured her from top to bottom.

Naina felt herself melting under his gaze. She picked up the saree, holding it close.

"Sameer, please... aise mat dekho." Her eyes could not meet his.

He sensed her reticence... and decided not to force her any more. Picking up his towel, he went towards the washroom.

Naina was about to start wrapping the saree when he turned, "Waise tum saath aati toh achha hota."

The saree fell from her hands.

Whistling the tune of mere rang mein rangne wali, he went in and closed the door.

Holding a hand to her heart, Naina took a few deep breaths... then picked up the saree and went in front of the mirror.

She had just held the corner to start wrapping when the door opened again and his head bobbed out, "Tumhari khushboo hai abhi tak yahan... lag raha hai tum saath mein hi ho."

The saree again fell from her hand.

Grinning, Sameer closed the door.

Naina stood still for a few minutes, expecting him to come out. When he didn't, she finally picked up the saree, wrapping it quickly so that she was dressed before he was out. Pinning it to her shoulder, she adjusted the pallu over her head after brushing her hair. She wore the jewellery and bangles and started to put lipstick when the sound of door opening made her stop. She didn't look back, knowing that he would be in a towel.

After the lipstick, she put a small round bindi and looked at her reflection. And her eyes went to the forehead that had been washed clean. She picked up the small box of sindoor. As she opened it, his hand caught her wrist.

"Yeh main kar deta hun." Sameer took a pinch of the red powder and touched it to her forehead.

She looked up at him, standing with his hair curling at the neck, water droplets still clinging to his body, a white towel around his waist...

A single strand of hair fell on his forehead. He pushed it back by running his fingers in the hair, and a few drops on his shoulder dripped down.

Naina felt her heartbeat quicken. It had been days since she'd seen him coming out like this after a bath.

"Itne din jab tumhare saath nahi thi toh roz yaad karti thi ki tum aise bathroom se bahar aate ho." She said wistfully, placing one hand on his chest.

Sameer was elated to hear that she thought about him like this.

"Aur kya kya sochti thi apne handsome pati ke baare mein?" He held her other hand, bringing it up to his chest as well.

"Sochti toh bohot kuch thi par abhi batane ka time nahi hai... main bahar jaati hun tum aa jaana taiyar hoke." She pulled her hands from his hold and crossed him to go.

Sameer held her wrist and pulled her back, making her land on his chest. His other hand went around her waist.

"Miss toh main bhi tumko karta hun... towel mein dekhne ke liye." He said in a raspy voice.