Recognition

Naina decided to wear the yellow saree that she had bought for the farewell. She did not mention it to Sameer that she had decided to wear a saree. When he went for his bath, she quickly changed in the room... she could not tie it in the washroom and Sameer would never leave the room if she asked him to go for this reason.

She had finished pinning up the pallu when he stepped out, in black trousers, a towel around his neck.

"Tum ready ho gayi?" His eyes went wide as it slowly registered to him that she had changed in the room, while he was inside.

"Haan... ab tum bhi ho jao." She did not look at him, knowing that he would be without a shirt.

He watched as she wore the long, dainty earrings. Then she opened a small box and took out the pendent... the one with their initials... and started to tie it around her neck.

He walked up to her, going to stand behind. Holding the two ends of her chain, he put the clasp, brushing his fingers against the back of her neck that was clear to his view, with her hair pushed over one shoulder.

"Naina, filmon mein toh dori bandhne ke liye hamesha hero help karta hai... tum apne aap kaise baandh leti ho?" He traced his fingers over neatly tied dori of her blouse.

She shivered at the feather touch, her shoulders pushing back in reaction, "Sab khud hi bandhte hain... filmon mein aise hi kuch bhi dikhate hain... ab tum bhi taiyar ho jao na."

He removed the towel, tossing it back on the bed. Holding her shoulders, he looked at her in the mirror. Dressed in the beautiful yellow saree, she looked radiant... her cheeks glowed in the light over the mirror... her eyes were shining... her lips, still devoid of any gloss or lipstick, were naturally pink... her long hair which she always kept open as he liked, were swept over one shoulder, giving him the view of her smooth back through the deep neck blouse...

"Sameer, hum... humein late ho jayega." She tried to look at his face and not at the partially visible bare torso.

"Aisi koi party time pe shuru nahi hoti." His deep, gruff voice left no doubt about his intentions.

He pulled her towards himself, exhaling in relief as her back touched his bare skin... his hands slid down her arms, one of which was covered by her pallu. He tugged at the saree, till he reached the edge of the pallu... bunching it up on her shoulder, he eyed the curve of her waist in the mirror... making his heartbeat go erratic.

She saw his gaze shift to her bare waist...

Before either of them could think of anything, there was a knock at the door.

Sameer jumped... coming out of the spell she had wound around him.

Quickly slipping into the shirt, he started to close the buttons as Naina went to open the door.

"Naina, main yeh set laayi hun... yeh pehen le... teri saree ke saath match karega." Sonali excitedly showed a delicate looking set of necklace and earrings.

"Main yeh pehenna chahti hun, Sonali." She showed the pendent of their initials.

Sonali gave a wide smile, "Isse achha toh kuch hai hi nahi... tu yehi pehen."

After she left, Sameer brooded, "Iska matlab Sonali tak ko pata tha ki tum yeh saree pehnogi... bas mujhe nahi bataya."

She looked back at him in surprise, "Batana kya... tumhe toh pehen ke hi dikha di."

"Fir jhooth mooth puch rahi thi mujhse ki kya pehnu?" He was still glum.

She turned to face him, "Nahi, sach mein janna chahti thi ki agar tum kuch aur pasand karte ho toh main woh pehen lungi... par tumne kuch nahi bataya isliye yeh waali pehen li."