Haqdaar

Naina continued to sniff in the car. Sameer waited for sometime, thinking that she would perhaps come out of it. When he couldn't bear it any longer, he shifted closer, pulling her against himself with one arm around her shoulder and one on her cheek.

"Mujhe aisa lag raha hai ki main tumhe sabse cheen ke le jaa raha hun." He kissed the top of her head.

Naina placed her palm on his chest, sobbing quietly.

"Naina, please mat ro... warna mujhe bhi rona aa jayega." He brooded.

She punched him on the chest... knowing that he wasn't able to see her this emotional.

"Ahh... aise kaun maarta hai apne pati ko? Lagta hai do teen haddiyan toot gayi hongi." He cried out in pain, holding one hand over his chest where she had hit him.

Naina straightened immediately, "Sameer, zor se laga kya? Sorry, maine toh dheere se... sorry, bohot dard ho raha hai kya? Dikhao."

She leaned to touch the chest delicately.

"Achha bahana hai." He raised one brow.

"Bahana?" She looked at him, puzzled.

"Yahin meri shirt utarwana chahti ho... chot dekhne ke naam pe?" He gave a lopsided smile, whispering in her ear so that the driver couldn't hear them.

Naina took a few seconds to understand... and then blushed to the roots, hitting him even harder before turning to sit facing the window.

Sameer heaved a sigh of relief... at least she had stopped crying.

"Umm, yeh makeup jo beh ke chehre pe aa gaya hai, ghar pohochte hi sab darr na jaayein kahin." He leaned sideways, whispering again.

She touched her face, "Kya? Makeup kharab ho gaya? Divya ne toh kaha tha kuch nahi hoga, chahe saari raat bhi rakh lun."

Sameer smiled.

"Please batao, main theek kar leti hun." She looked at him in desperation.

He took out his handkerchief, "Lao, main kar deta hun."

She sat still in front of him.

Sameer gaped at her perfect face... where nothing was out of place. Her eyes, looking dark inside the car, were lined beautifully, lids having a golden shine... her cheeks were glowing, as always, rather more today... her lips were painted red, the way he loved, and slightly pursed at the moment... her tiny red and white bindis lined over the brows were something new, something he had never seen earlier...

"Baithe kyon ho? Karo na." She insisted.

"Kya karun?" He was lost.

"Arre baba, makeup theek karo na... ghar aane wala hai." She gave him a worried look.

"Oh." He realised what he had told her, and leaned closer to her face, pretending to clear a patch near her lips.

"Sameer." She held his hand.

He raised his brows in question.

"Rone se aankhen kharab hoti hai... lipstick nahi." She said in a reprimanding tone.

He gave a sheepish smile, and said in a barely audible voice, "Toh pehle lipstick kharab kar deta hun... fir theek kar dunga."

She gasped, pushing him... taking the handkerchief from his hand and dabbing around her eyes.

"Kuch nahi hai... ekdum perfect lag rahi ho." He chuckled.

She did not look at him again.

They reached the house shortly.