Naina ka Sameer

The temple was deserted as it was late afternoon. Thankfully, the chamber where deities were placed had just been opened.

Naina and Sameer stepped in the prayer area and placed the flowers at the feet of idols.

They folded their hands, closing their eyes to ask for each other's happiness from the divine powers.

"Ye lo beta, apni patni ko yeh kumkum laga do... aaj ke din pooja ke baad shubh hota hai isse lagana." Panditji appeared with a thali.

Sameer filled up her hair with kumkum for the second time, with God, and panditji as witnesses.

For Naina, it was another sacred moment... she touched her hair, breathing deeply... and turned to fold her hands again in gratitude for everything that God had given, filling her life with immeasurable happiness.

When they started back for home, Naina was still dazed, reminiscing about everything that had happened... pooja for him as her husband, kumkum in the temple, his offering of petals as his own wishes for her... the day had been a satisfying experience... giving her the feel of marriage for the first time in the outside world.

Sameer was, however, not delving in the past... his thoughts raced to the forthcoming moments. They would be alone at home...

When they had come to stay, Rahul had assured him that he and Sonali would not disturb them at all.

"Dekh yaar, tera kaaran jo bhi ho yahan aane ka... teri abhi abhi shaadi hui hai... aise mein tum hostel mein alag alag rehte toh mujhe bilkul achha nahi lagta... iss baat ke liye toh Naina ke papa ko thank you hi bolna chahiye ki unki soch jaisi bhi ho par unki wajah se tum yahan rehne aaye... ab isse apna hi ghar samjho... tumhe koi disturb nahi karega... John bhi tab tak nahi aayega tumhare room mein jab tak tum khud na bolo... please, aisa mat sochna ki tum yahan ho toh kisi tarah ki formality ke liye tujhe mere saath baithna chahiye ya idhar udhar ki baatein karni chahiye... bhai, tu bhi mazze kar aur mujhe bhi free chod... waise meri wali ne toh exams ka aisa bhoot chadha rakha hai ki kya bataun... kam toh Naina bhi nahi hai par shayad nayi shaadi ke liye thode grace marks mil jaayein tujhe." Rahul had said on the very first day, while Naina and Sonali were away.

And he had kept his word. Their only interactions were at mealtimes. That too were kept short.

Still, the thought always stayed at the back of his mind that someone else was present outside their closed door.

Today, for the first time, he would be alone with Naina in the house... in any house...

It was what he had wished for while they were going in the morning. Was the pooja actually so effective that his wishes were coming true at this speed? Probably, he needed to learn more about religious rituals and practices... seeing their potency.

They thanked the driver, going up the lift with the packet of food in hand. Sonali's mom had packed dinner for them after she failed to convince them to stay for the night.

Naina unlocked the door and entered, followed by Sameer. She went in to place the packet in the kitchen. Taking out the containers of vegetables, she turned to put in the refrigerator.

He was standing at the door of the kitchen, hands in pocket.

"Sameer, yahan kya kar rahe ho? Tum aaram karo main bas yeh sab rakh deti hun... kitni garmi hai yahan... tumhe toh subah bhi lag rahi thi... jaake pankhe ke neeche baitho." She brought her hair in front, over one shoulder.

The temperature was a little high but this was not the heat that was troubling Sameer.

She bent down to adjust the containers on one of the shelves... going back to put away the casserole and secure the jute bag.